Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-24T13:37:30+00:00

    Divya R - Microsoft Support,

    I have a question or two.

    It appears a recent Windows 7 update is causing this problem based on the reading of the issues raised.

    When will Microsoft provide a fix for this?

    Does one need to uninstall virus protection and reinstall every time one wish to run chkdsk?  This would be very annoying and takes several hours.

    I do not appreciate being put in this position by updates to my computer.  I have been able to run chkdsk any time it was needed with out removing and reinstalling any software.

    Regards,   Vic

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-23T22:51:36+00:00

    Hi Lowey58

    I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

    1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
    2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
    3. Restart
    4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
    5. Re-install AVG

    Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

    Thank you. This solved my problem. I've since switched to Avast Antivirus, and have had no further repeats of this incident.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-01-23T22:38:34+00:00

    The information was partially helpful.  I was able to clear the attempts by the OS or whatever is controlling the computer during the boot sequence such that the computer does not attempt to run chkdsk every time it reboots.  This was accomplished with the Systerm Start-up Recovery option of the menu from the F8 key.

    However, when I try to schedule a chkdsk the system reports the same error that, there is a program preventing this .  I do not have AVG installed but, CA's antivirus monitoring software.  The virus deffinitions are up to date and a virus scan has been run with no bugs found.

    I will be running a backup this weekend when I am back in town and talking to a Dell representative to find out what is going on.  I would like to run the anti-virus when the computer is in safe mode as a double check.

    Regards,   Vic

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-08T03:59:10+00:00

    Ultimately my solution ended up being to completely remove AVG free. I switched to Avast free, and have not had the problem since.

    What I'm thinking is that int he case of an antivirus causing the problem, it may very well be the system protection that it runs at boot time.

    I believe that some have special protections which run early in order to try to prevent infections of the MBR, and MFT, as well as critical boot files. Having them run like that makes the disk unable to be locked down since the programs originate from that drive... Just my thoughts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments