Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-09T06:19:38+00:00

    Hello, I have same issue, but my screen goes black, I have no way of getting in operating system to disable antivirus and do the above mentioned  suggestions. please help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-23T22:28:19+00:00

    This also worked for me..Mine was Avast  Antivirus ..After trying to get Scan disk to run for hours I finally gave in and tried  the Antivirus  uninstall..Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-15T19:07:10+00:00

    thanks worked for me with Avast

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-27T02:44:10+00:00

    This answer would not have worked because CHKDSK /R invokes AutoChk on startup.  Anyone that reads the title for this thread noticed the question was about AutoChk not running.  

    So running CHKDSK /R would NOT solve this particular problem, would just display this error message again.  I highly doubt that anyone that has seen this error needs to be told how to make the message show up again.

    I'm also running AVG, so I'll get rid of it and run the scan.  Of course, the computer will be disconnected from the Internet before uninstalling AVG and until I install it again from its file that I previously downloaded, so as to not shoot myself in the foot, nor get infected while doing this.

    If AVG is the problem, then I suspect that it is using some technique to mess with the Master Boot Record or Partition Table so no malware can install itself there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments