Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-08-01T21:24:06+00:00

    Avast Antivirus.  Pemanent Disable Command. CHKDSK then ran, no problem. Re-Enabled Avast afterwards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-11-24T10:23:24+00:00

    Quite an old post this one I know but my solution was much the same as the AVG suggestion.

    I uninstalled Bullguard and rebooted.  Checkdisk auto started and ran.

    So, not specific to an AV program but any seem to be able to block the auto check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-09T16:37:42+00:00

    Hello, I want to share what worked for me. I have windows 7 Professional and Avast antivirus.

    After the uninstall antivirus guide failed I tried uninstalling the recent programs and updates, that didn't work either.

    This is what worked:

    Restart the computer and press F8 during start.

    Select the first option "Repair Computer"

    Select "Start up Repair" When done, the computer started normally like the error never happened. I restarted 3 more times to be sure. The problem was corrected by the start up repair.

    Please let know if this worked for you and thanks for the support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T13:18:55+00:00

    Hi Lowey58

    I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

    1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
    2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
    3. Restart
    4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
    5. Re-install AVG

    Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

    For me, it was just that Malwarebytes Anti-malware had quarantined some items, and wanted to remove them during next (this) boot. After letting it go into Windows, and queueing the Checkdisk again, it worked fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments