Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-22T13:50:03+00:00

    Nice Job srinivas! This worked for my wife's Toshiba laptop. Thanks. Now to get my virus checker back up. Thanks again...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-22T20:08:43+00:00

    Thank you so much. Had same problem but with kaspersky security suite 2013

    1. Uninstall antivirus 
    2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
    3. Restart
    4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
    5. Re-install AV

    6, Brilliant

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-09-21T21:25:15+00:00

    Great tip.

    Worked perfectly for me, using Kaspersky Pure 2.0.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-18T16:27:30+00:00

    Hi Lowey58,

    Thank you.  I had the same problem and I folled your advice by uninstalling my Security and re-installing it.  That did the trick.  What amazed me most, however, is that I have different security software than you.  I use Symantec Norton Internet Security.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments