Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-20T13:18:55+00:00

    Hi Lowey58

    I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

    1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
    2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
    3. Restart
    4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
    5. Re-install AVG

    Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

    For me, it was just that Malwarebytes Anti-malware had quarantined some items, and wanted to remove them during next (this) boot. After letting it go into Windows, and queueing the Checkdisk again, it worked fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-23T22:28:19+00:00

    This also worked for me..Mine was Avast  Antivirus ..After trying to get Scan disk to run for hours I finally gave in and tried  the Antivirus  uninstall..Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-09-01T18:37:34+00:00

    Hi Lowey58

    I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

    1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
    2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
    3. Restart
    4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
    5. Re-install AVG

    Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

    This absolutely works and saved me a lot of headaches.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-21T23:26:15+00:00

    Hello all,

    Glad to know that you are issue has been fixed now Lowey58. Thank you MJC_UK for pointing Lowey58 in the right direction. This will help the other users with similar issue as well.

    In most cases the Antivirus Software prevents the scan or installation of other software on the computer. In those scenarios it would be better to disable antivrus softwareand then re-enable the same once done with the scan/installation of the software.

    Regards,

    Divya R – Microsoft Support.

    Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments