Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-14T21:25:30+00:00

    Non of the solutions posted worked for me, however taking the hard drive and plugging it into my friends PC allowed me to run chkdsk and fixed all the errors.  I didn't even install any software, so not sure whatever happened to give me that error in the 1st place.  Restore wouldn't work because it said I needed to run chkdsk, and chkdsk was telling me to restore lol.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T09:12:05+00:00

    Hope this helps. Let us know the result.

    Thanks and Regards,

    Srinivas R

    Microsoft Support.

    Srinivas, Thanks a lot !

    (i would just recommend to look the letter for windows partition before typing the command in cmd.

    here d: )

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-28T13:33:10+00:00

    Hi Lowey58

    I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

    1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
    2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
    3. Restart
    4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
    5. Re-install AVG

    Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

    Hi!

    I have the same problem.

    Deleting Kaspersky didn't help.

    I booted from livecd and started chkdsk /f /r.

    All was done, chkdsk fixed problems.

    And problem was gone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-03T12:57:17+00:00

    but my computer doesn't have any anti-virus software, in fact i just installed windows 7 in this compter last week, i need help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments