Error: Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

Anonymous
2010-06-28T12:42:03+00:00

Original title: Windows 7.File system is NTFS volume label is OS.Can not open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package.An unspecified error occurred__766f6c756d652e63 3f1

I have recently upgraded from Vista home premium to Windows 7 Home premium, and everything was working fine, until recently I keep receiving the above message every time I start my laptop. I cannot do a system restore and this error tells me to do a system restore. I downloaded the upgrade from the internet, so I don't have a copy or disc to reinstall. Can anyone help me solve this problem or do I have to uninstall all the recent software programmes?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-17T17:51:08+00:00

Hi Lowey58

I had exactly the same problem. This worked for me:

  1. Uninstall antivirus  (mine was AVG free v9)
  2. Schedule chkdsk on restart
  3. Restart
  4. Now CHKDSK runs and fixes up he disk problems
  5. Re-install AVG

Try it and if it works post a reply so that others know ot worked for you too.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-09T16:37:42+00:00

    Hello, I want to share what worked for me. I have windows 7 Professional and Avast antivirus.

    After the uninstall antivirus guide failed I tried uninstalling the recent programs and updates, that didn't work either.

    This is what worked:

    Restart the computer and press F8 during start.

    Select the first option "Repair Computer"

    Select "Start up Repair" When done, the computer started normally like the error never happened. I restarted 3 more times to be sure. The problem was corrected by the start up repair.

    Please let know if this worked for you and thanks for the support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-09T09:12:46+00:00

    Hi Lowey58,

    I would suggest you to run chkdsk utility fromWindows recovery enviornment (WINRE) and check if it can identify any issues and fix it. Later try to boot to the desktop and check if it helps.

    Follow the steps below to boot the computer in WINRE mode and run chkdsk utility.

    1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

    Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

    1. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    2. Click Repair your computer.
    3. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    4. On the System Recovery Options menu, select command prompt.
    5. Type the command <tt>chkdsk C: /f /r and press enter</tt>

    If Windows recovery enviornment (WINRE) is preinstalled option on your computer:

    1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

    Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.

    1. Do one of the following:

    • If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

    • If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to repair, and then press and hold F8.

    1. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option.)
    2. Select a keyboard layout, and then click next.
    3. Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.
    4. On the System Recovery Options menu, select command prompt.
    5. Type the command <tt>chkdsk C: /f /r and press enter</tt>

    <tt> </tt>

    Once the check disk is complete try to boot to the desktop and verify if you are able to access desktop.

    Access the link below to know more about Windows recovery options in Windows 7.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

    Hope this helps. Let us know the result.

    Thanks and Regards,


    Srinivas R

    Microsoft Support.

    Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-01T13:17:59+00:00

    I had the same problem. I though I had solved it by using the Windows repair function at startup, because it said it was repairing the hard drive then finished. However, I'm still unable to do a chkdsk, getting the same error message as before. As you say, system restore will not run unless chkdsk gives the OK, and chkdsk will not run because of whatever else is wrong. We need a workaround to this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-06-29T00:22:32+00:00

    Hi Lowey58,

    I would suggest you to scan the computer for error. Follow this step to do the same:

    1. Click Start
    2. Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD->Click 'Run as Administrator'
    3. At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r

    When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

    Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

    Additionally you may refer the following link for more information:

    Check a drive for errors

    Regards,

    Divya R – Microsoft Support.

    Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments