Guys, I had the same issue while installing Office 2010 on Windows 7. Here is a link to the solution that worked for me:
http://www.okino.com/conv/changing\_windows\_registry\_permissions.htm
THIS IS THE ANSWER RIGHT HERE
THANKS BENOIT!! HELPED ME OUT BIG TIME!
I tried this too. When I got to "1 - On the "Permissions tab" enable the checkmark box named "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object ", then press the "Apply" button." I get hit with "Registry
Editor could not set security in the key currently selected, or in some of its subkeys." That's it; no explanation or help on how to correct this. I guess Microsoft's Registry Editor can't do much, can it???
I just downgraded the rating I gave Windows 7 Home Premium from a 2 to a 1 (worst possible) at Amazon.com because this problem is blocking the installation of my virus protection software. That's a major issue and I have spent hours fighting with this Microsoft
product in an unsuccessful effort to make it work.