Error 1402: could not open key: unknow\components\3178400169C22D11A9790006794C4E25\7D2F387510089040102000060BECB6AB

Anonymous
2009-10-07T06:14:56+00:00

I already checked on the persissions, i am logged on as administartor, UAC turned off.

There was a bad uninstall of the product, had to run "Windows Installer Cleanup" because was receiving message "already installed" at setup.

Now i have this Error 1402. Something else i need to clean up before reinstallation?

Thank you for any advice.

Jean-Luc

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-13T01:46:28+00:00

RESOLVED!

(Error 1402 while attempting to re-install Office 2003 on Vista Home Professional)

This was resolved for me by running the "Fix-It" that resets registry security settings.  It is at the following knowledgebase article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Then re-run the install

Thank you to the folks at the following forum/post

http://omgili.com/jmp/.0rSU5LtMgwKlLvLcgIskPccX\_Otxaq47tlOHhXkGRb9DAq3tpx1C4gh00DZZkwslO.hn8FUUZ6pJCwCoNtBn12lpf\_8OAH6BolXoJuTLbCHiTcfU\_6jli4B1kprrvOCwEcK4Gjdz5IvN3UiylfPOFgVs1w9TIbZNZLV.aWzM3N\_YsKkJIKHJTprxix8tG5wBpocyMRkNgo\_RuSfQ.umQF\_dt5CcWAXASWe6ClVIyU4-

I tried to 'reply' to their post but their site crashed in the attempt.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-10-26T03:23:11+00:00

    I have seen this error quite a few times from varying software. The following command always solves the issue.

    Click start > Run (or in the search box) > copy and paste the below then click Ok.

    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-06-24T15:49:09+00:00

    This is the base key the error is coming from in my case:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components

    In the error you will see a long string of alpha/numeric characters. If you look close you will see two groups of  32 characters separated by a slash.

    "Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\BC340D94C8C4E4045922BEA9641A1CCC\76C3ED2784BFE054B8AEE41B3B5B53D5 ..."

    The problem key for me was then:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components \BC340D94C8C4E4045922BEA9641A1CCC

    Every user in Windows has a security identifier. S-1-5-18  is for "Local System" A service account that is used by the operating system.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780850%28WS.10%29.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-26T19:50:37+00:00

    Alas I'm getting four registry errors the first being 1402 on down to 1406.

    I'm trying to put off the inevitable; digging up the keys in the reg and fixing each permission.  Office 12 and 14 are run from my system so I'm getting this from both.   The second user won't upgrade to 2010.  I suppose this means I'll have to do the registry fixes for both installations?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more