Error 1402: could not open key: unknow\components\3178400169C22D11A9790006794C4E25\7D2F387510089040102000060BECB6AB

Anonymous
2009-10-07T06:14:56+00:00

I already checked on the persissions, i am logged on as administartor, UAC turned off.

There was a bad uninstall of the product, had to run "Windows Installer Cleanup" because was receiving message "already installed" at setup.

Now i have this Error 1402. Something else i need to clean up before reinstallation?

Thank you for any advice.

Jean-Luc

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-13T01:46:28+00:00

RESOLVED!

(Error 1402 while attempting to re-install Office 2003 on Vista Home Professional)

This was resolved for me by running the "Fix-It" that resets registry security settings.  It is at the following knowledgebase article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Then re-run the install

Thank you to the folks at the following forum/post

http://omgili.com/jmp/.0rSU5LtMgwKlLvLcgIskPccX\_Otxaq47tlOHhXkGRb9DAq3tpx1C4gh00DZZkwslO.hn8FUUZ6pJCwCoNtBn12lpf\_8OAH6BolXoJuTLbCHiTcfU\_6jli4B1kprrvOCwEcK4Gjdz5IvN3UiylfPOFgVs1w9TIbZNZLV.aWzM3N\_YsKkJIKHJTprxix8tG5wBpocyMRkNgo\_RuSfQ.umQF\_dt5CcWAXASWe6ClVIyU4-

I tried to 'reply' to their post but their site crashed in the attempt.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-24T14:33:02+00:00

    Run:

    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose


    as Administrator in command prompt.  It works, but does not if not ran from Administrator.  (Literally, right click, "Run as Administrator") then execute command.

    Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-18T16:57:44+00:00

    Hi Paul ! I tried to follow the steps in kb3132222 page you said but I could not found the right answer to resolve the issue. What app or patch did you ran to fix it ? I couldn't find any fixit or other app to reset the registry security settings... I would really appreciate your help on this !!!!!

    Thanks !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-03T17:51:16+00:00

    Thank you so much for the post, I was having a hard time to install the Visual Studio 2010. Always getting the error "Error 1402: could not open key: unknow\components ..." The "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose" command line worked for me like a charm. I just have VS2010 installed.

    My hat off and thumbs up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-21T11:31:27+00:00

    The 1402 error is a problem caused by the Office installation being unable to open and save a certain registry key on your PC.http://microsoft-support-squad.blogspot.in/2012/04/fix-microsoft-office-1402-error.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments