Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning

Anonymous
2009-06-13T07:52:50+00:00

original title: Windows Updates that shut down

This will be short.  The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first.  I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT.  I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing.  I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions.  Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point.  All was lost.  I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update.  This was truly awful.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-24T10:29:05+00:00

    Frustrating is an understatement. My pc constantly shuts down without warning, usually right in the smack bang middle of me doing some research or writing work. Happens all the time! It just happened to me 10 minutes ago, hence the reason that I am searching the net for a solution to the problem.

    It's a bit sad that a moderator is on here blatantly denying that this problem exists.

    If I could turn back time, I would've spent a little bit more and got that Mac.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T16:39:42+00:00

    I am furious, this just happened to me after spending half an hour composing an email. My PC just shut down without warning. It must have force closed all my programs as I did not even have a draft copy of the email I have typed in Windows Live. I will be turning off automatic updates. I feel this is a poor solution, but as Microsoft don't admit they have a problem I feel this is the best solution. To me, this is worse than have a malware infected PC!

    Gary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-28T01:09:03+00:00

    I was fine once someone told me how to turn off the "automatic" updating without warning. That was great and it worked. It then notified me that there was updates and I scheduled them when I was ready.  It worked, however, until something unbeknownst to me turned it back on. I can only imagine that an update did it. Furious once again but I turned it back off again. I only lost one item but had saved the draft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-12T18:28:00+00:00

    Oh thank you. That was getting frustrating.

    Still think it's sad that a bug report didn't get noticed...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-08-07T22:22:53+00:00

    I so agree.... right in the middle of work ...to loose everything since my last save.  Never have I had more of a reason and true motivation to change my life long preference from windows to Mac.  All its going to take is for me to loose a couple more hours of my work and it's done.  Thank god I wasn't trading stocks online where it could have cost me hard cash.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments