Cyber/Paulock, no disrespect but you are clearly not reading puzzles post. Twice he clearly stated no warning. This DOES happen. It just happened to me at 3:19 this morning while I was in the middle of something. I was ticked off then to come read some moderator claiming it can't happen makes me wonder how you can be a moderator. It has happened other nights also. It has happened on both my desktop Windows 7, and laptop Windows 7. Many times I do get the warning and it will pull me out of whatever I am doing to tell me. Many times it does not. You seem to be implying that we are making this stuff up. I am not part of a domain or group. If it was not giving me a warning ever I would assume it is something in my settings. However it gives me a warning sometimes and others it does not.
Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning
original title: Windows Updates that shut down
This will be short. The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first. I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT. I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing. I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions. Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point. All was lost. I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update. This was truly awful.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2013-05-31T08:38:24+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-06-15T14:59:31+00:00 Same thing happens to me. Sometimes I get the warning; other times I do not. Both yesterday and today, I did NOT get a warning and I was in the middle of some online training. My system restarted without warning and I had to start the training over FROM THE BEGINNING! Very frustrating!
To fix it, I went into Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Turn automatic updating on or off > and changed the setting to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them". Hopefully this will stop my computer from restarting without warning. Hopefully it will not open it up to security risks.
-
Anonymous
2013-07-12T08:22:31+00:00 I have this happen to me too, I am using windows 7. It is very frustrating, there is absolutely no warning, it just shuts down, and I too have thought that it had crashed. This morning it shut down on me when I was in the middle of making an online payment, grrrrr! I have now, after reading the posts on here, changed the settings to 'check for updates but let me choose whether to install them', so hopefully it will ask me in future! Control panel > system and security > windows update > change settings. I know this is an old post but maybe it will help someone who is doing a search for the problem, just like I did this morning.
-
Anonymous
2013-08-16T11:09:25+00:00 Absolutely it does shut down without warning to install updates. From the time I bought this laptop almost 2 years ago, it has done that every single time. Just went in to change the settings and we'll see
-
Anonymous
2014-02-12T20:09:38+00:00 I know this is an old post but I find it infuriating and unbelievable that a moderator would just deny the existence of an ongoing problem.
I am using Windows 7 and this just happened to me, too at approximately 2:58PM. There was no warning, though I am familiar with the postpone option that does show up in the bottom right corner of the screen, where the notifications appear.
Often, I find the warning system to be adequate. I can either postpone restarting my computer or the update will simply politely wait for me to shut down my computer with the option of installing new updates while shutting down or restarting.
However, every now and then, my computer will just shut down with no warning whatsoever, and I can't tell what happened until I see that it is initiating an update. It doesn't give me time to save anything I was working on, it just logs me off and installs the updates.
It's very frustrating and counterproductive.
As I said, I don't always have this problem, but it occurs nearly once every month. It seems like it is unintentional, so it should be fixed. But, telling your target consumers that they are incorrect when multiple people are making the same claim is like calling them liars or insane, and that is not proper customer service.