I have this happen to me too, I am using windows 7. It is very frustrating, there is absolutely no warning, it just shuts down, and I too have thought that it had crashed. This morning it shut down on me when I was in the middle of making an online payment, grrrrr! I have now, after reading the posts on here, changed the settings to 'check for updates but let me choose whether to install them', so hopefully it will ask me in future! Control panel > system and security > windows update > change settings. I know this is an old post but maybe it will help someone who is doing a search for the problem, just like I did this morning.
Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning
original title: Windows Updates that shut down
This will be short. The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first. I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT. I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing. I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions. Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point. All was lost. I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update. This was truly awful.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-07-12T08:22:31+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-06-15T14:59:31+00:00 Same thing happens to me. Sometimes I get the warning; other times I do not. Both yesterday and today, I did NOT get a warning and I was in the middle of some online training. My system restarted without warning and I had to start the training over FROM THE BEGINNING! Very frustrating!
To fix it, I went into Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Turn automatic updating on or off > and changed the setting to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them". Hopefully this will stop my computer from restarting without warning. Hopefully it will not open it up to security risks.
-
Anonymous
2013-05-31T08:38:24+00:00 Cyber/Paulock, no disrespect but you are clearly not reading puzzles post. Twice he clearly stated no warning. This DOES happen. It just happened to me at 3:19 this morning while I was in the middle of something. I was ticked off then to come read some moderator claiming it can't happen makes me wonder how you can be a moderator. It has happened other nights also. It has happened on both my desktop Windows 7, and laptop Windows 7. Many times I do get the warning and it will pull me out of whatever I am doing to tell me. Many times it does not. You seem to be implying that we are making this stuff up. I am not part of a domain or group. If it was not giving me a warning ever I would assume it is something in my settings. However it gives me a warning sometimes and others it does not.
-
Reza-Ameri 45,901 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2013-05-01T19:19:37+00:00 By default before Windows Update restart, it will show you warning that it will restart in 10 minutes and you could postponed it. It is possible to set policy in group policy that enforce computer to restart after update without warning that is custom setting in group policy , if your PC is part of domain that could be the issue or you might set that policy locally or it is some other issue.
-
Anonymous
2013-05-01T01:24:08+00:00 Excuse me, but "Not True" is correct. It certainly is not true that Windows "always" warns before a shut down, or it would have warned me before doing so. I have Windows 7 and I can be working on something and suddenly it shuts down to apply updates. This has happened more than once and after searching online, it apparently has happened to a number of people.