I have to chime in on this one: who, at Microsoft, thought this was a good idea? My Windows 10 experience has been flawed by poor UI decisions, bugs (like a non-working start menu) that are truly astounding, and now this: restarting a device with no warning. If there is a book of cardinal rules in OS design, and there is, MS has broken a major one with this flaw. "Though shalt not change the state of the UI without the permission and acceptance of the user". The user must always be in control of the OS. Your company has to at least stay in the dust trail of Apple if you want to survive. As a software company, you need to be better than the others. I loved Windows XP. I have a very uncertain future with Windows 10.
Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning
original title: Windows Updates that shut down
This will be short. The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first. I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT. I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing. I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions. Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point. All was lost. I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update. This was truly awful.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2016-03-23T05:55:34+00:00 -
Anonymous
2016-03-05T19:38:12+00:00 I can't say that this has happened prior to today. Windows 10 just up and cleared the screen - shut things down and started installing updates.
I was pressing Control + F to find something in a document at the time, and I recall the Control + F wasn't registering, and then the screen went blank - into the shutdown.
If I had to make a wild guess - I would say that most likely this is what is really going on: Windows 10 is busy preparing the update data .. then prompts the user ... hard drive is still chugging along so the notification app is a little lagged when loading / displaying. What I think is happening is that the notification app receives a key stroke from the input buffer BEFORE the notification / update confirmation window can be displayed. The key stroke hits the default "Yes go for it" option and voila - the system shuts down.
-
Anonymous
2015-12-17T22:15:59+00:00 yes,I may consider a Mac next time, anyway I got , the big update for windows 10 yesterday,it took 3 and half hours to install,with no warning too,again ! some people are saying the windows 10 bugs will be fixed with the update.
-
Anonymous
2015-12-14T02:11:05+00:00 I have Windows 10 and it happens to me AT LEAST 3 times a day. Microsoft really needs to work on their operating systems. The past two have really sucked. This is why more and more people are hating Microsoft and moving to other things like Mac and Linux. Microsoft's lost many customers due to these kinds of issues, they should really work on fixing this.
-
Anonymous
2015-11-11T02:03:10+00:00 It is definitely not true on Windows 10. Watching a video online and the screens go into powersave mode. You can still hear audio for a while and then it reboots. Upon returning, Windows 10 installs updates. This happens with no warning.