Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning

Anonymous
2009-06-13T07:52:50+00:00

original title: Windows Updates that shut down

This will be short.  The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first.  I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT.  I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing.  I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions.  Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point.  All was lost.  I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update.  This was truly awful.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-27T09:57:05+00:00

    Ever Since Microsoft has just done a major update on my computer not matter what time I am on which is usually extremely early in the morning this computer decides it is going to shut down right in the middle of whatever i am typing, etc.  Never happened before and this is very annoying since when I am talking on Skype it just shuts down in the middle of conversations to clients, bosses and family members.  I have however learned anything that I can save I do every time I type in Word or Excel.  But this shutting down that can loose me my job is uncalled for and unnecessary and must be taken care of.  I want to know why this is happening and if you updated something that is not exactly doing it's job then go back in and correct this problem before Microsoft will be in a world of hurt.  Unfair to us to go through this.  Sorry but loosing my job over what I do for a living and you taking it away from me is just not right!  BY THE WAY WINDOWS WILL NOT WARN US WHEN IT IS SHUTTING DOWN IT JUST SHUTS DOWN!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-17T05:18:37+00:00

    2017 and still a problem! Windows 10 did give me a warning though, in the notifications it said that it had to shut down to apply updates, well no problem, it's set to do that during off hours so it should do it when I'm not using it.  Well, that notification stayed for 3 days(or there have been several updates).  Today I was in the middle of doing something and a box pops up saying it has to restart....my choices: 'Restart Now'  or 'Close'.  I was in the middle of something so I chose 'Close'.  20 minutes later, it just shut down everything and applied the updates, losing what I was working on. That's BS MS!.....as a former techie, I'd never do Mac, but seriously considering moving to Linux.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-24T15:30:14+00:00

    Come on MS. There is NO WARNING and this is a REAL PROBLEM. Your customers deserve better. I have personally lost hours of work on several occasions, the last time being 20 minutes ago. If you are concentrating on the task in hand, you need ON SCREEN notification in order to manage the situation, as you are unlikely to notice the update icon creeping silently onto your task bar prior to the complete shutdown of your computer! I am getting so frustrated that I too am seriously considering the switch to Mac. In fact reading the lame denials to the previous complaints, I have considered......I'm switching.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-10-04T14:07:36+00:00

    Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous. I step away from my computer to for a minute, come back, and all my work is lost. I can't even fathom how they think it's okay.

    To deny that this occurs when it obviously does is disgraceful, and for Microsoft to not change this is pathetic. No wonder people have such a negative view of their company and employees, it is absolutely justified.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-10-01T00:37:13+00:00

    It is incredibly arrogant of Microsoft to let the computer shut down without excplicit consent of the user. Work may be lost, an important online event missed etc.

    They say there is a warning shortly before it happens. This is ridiculous! The user may be afk, just not concentrated all the time on the screen and so on.

    I can't believe this nanny-state kind of approach from MS. It is in fact semi-totalitarian.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments