Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning

Anonymous
2009-06-13T07:52:50+00:00

original title: Windows Updates that shut down

This will be short.  The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first.  I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT.  I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing.  I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions.  Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point.  All was lost.  I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update.  This was truly awful.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-30T13:43:56+00:00

    'Not true' is incorrect, although it would have helped if you had stated what o/s you were using

    In Windows>Update>Settings you can modify how updates are delivered/installed

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-30T12:35:09+00:00

    This is not true.  My computer applies updates without warning all the time.  It is very frustrating to be reading something or working on something and have the computer suddenly do a restart to apply the updates.  It happened again this morning so I have been searching for a way to stop this from happening and saw this on a Dogpile search.

    Was this answer helpful?

    90+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Reza-Ameri 45,901 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2011-10-07T08:37:55+00:00

    It is important that you get update as soon as possible, some update are related to security and in order to be apply you must restart your PC and Windows will ask you to do that. In Windows when update been installed, if it ask for restart it will shows a message and ask you to restart now or later. In Windows Vista and Windows 7 you could postpone it up to 4 hours and if you don't give any response system would restart automatically after 10 minutes. Windows will always warn you before restart by default.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments