Just happened to me, as well. Typing along, screen goes blank, laptop updates, morning of work lost. It happens all the time, and I have no idea what to do about it.
Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning
original title: Windows Updates that shut down
This will be short. The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first. I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT. I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing. I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions. Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point. All was lost. I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update. This was truly awful.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-02-19T10:55:24+00:00 -
Anonymous
2017-12-27T09:57:05+00:00 Ever Since Microsoft has just done a major update on my computer not matter what time I am on which is usually extremely early in the morning this computer decides it is going to shut down right in the middle of whatever i am typing, etc. Never happened before and this is very annoying since when I am talking on Skype it just shuts down in the middle of conversations to clients, bosses and family members. I have however learned anything that I can save I do every time I type in Word or Excel. But this shutting down that can loose me my job is uncalled for and unnecessary and must be taken care of. I want to know why this is happening and if you updated something that is not exactly doing it's job then go back in and correct this problem before Microsoft will be in a world of hurt. Unfair to us to go through this. Sorry but loosing my job over what I do for a living and you taking it away from me is just not right! BY THE WAY WINDOWS WILL NOT WARN US WHEN IT IS SHUTTING DOWN IT JUST SHUTS DOWN!
-
Anonymous
2017-01-17T05:18:37+00:00 2017 and still a problem! Windows 10 did give me a warning though, in the notifications it said that it had to shut down to apply updates, well no problem, it's set to do that during off hours so it should do it when I'm not using it. Well, that notification stayed for 3 days(or there have been several updates). Today I was in the middle of doing something and a box pops up saying it has to restart....my choices: 'Restart Now' or 'Close'. I was in the middle of something so I chose 'Close'. 20 minutes later, it just shut down everything and applied the updates, losing what I was working on. That's BS MS!.....as a former techie, I'd never do Mac, but seriously considering moving to Linux.
-
Anonymous
2016-03-05T19:38:12+00:00 I can't say that this has happened prior to today. Windows 10 just up and cleared the screen - shut things down and started installing updates.
I was pressing Control + F to find something in a document at the time, and I recall the Control + F wasn't registering, and then the screen went blank - into the shutdown.
If I had to make a wild guess - I would say that most likely this is what is really going on: Windows 10 is busy preparing the update data .. then prompts the user ... hard drive is still chugging along so the notification app is a little lagged when loading / displaying. What I think is happening is that the notification app receives a key stroke from the input buffer BEFORE the notification / update confirmation window can be displayed. The key stroke hits the default "Yes go for it" option and voila - the system shuts down.
-
Anonymous
2015-03-12T18:28:00+00:00 Oh thank you. That was getting frustrating.
Still think it's sad that a bug report didn't get noticed...