Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning

Anonymous
2009-06-13T07:52:50+00:00

original title: Windows Updates that shut down

This will be short.  The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first.  I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT.  I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing.  I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions.  Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point.  All was lost.  I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update.  This was truly awful.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T20:20:45+00:00

    every day with NO WARNING and it iS a BIG problem,no matter how often I save my work,I still get caught ,Same problem,since I got windows 10, positively NO Warning and no way to control it

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T20:18:59+00:00

    Same problem,since I git windows 10, positively NO Warning and no way to control it

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T20:18:29+00:00

    Same problem,since I git windows 10, positively NO Warning and no way to control it

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-12T20:17:36+00:00

    Same problem,since I git windows 10, positively NO Warning and no way to control it

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Reza-Ameri 45,901 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-05-01T19:19:37+00:00

    By default before Windows Update restart, it will show you warning that it will restart in 10 minutes and you could postponed it. It is possible to set policy in group policy that enforce computer to restart after update without warning that is custom setting in group policy , if your PC is part of domain that could be the issue or you might set that policy locally or it is some other issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments