WHY WINDOWS 10 SUDDENLY DID NOT PROMPT ME TO SHUT DOWN? IT ALWAYS HAS BEFORE. DO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR CUSTOMERS USE WINDOWS TO DO IMPORTANT THINGS?!
Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning
original title: Windows Updates that shut down
This will be short. The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first. I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT. I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing. I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions. Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point. All was lost. I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update. This was truly awful.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-03-01T19:01:41+00:00 -
Anonymous
2015-08-07T22:22:53+00:00 I so agree.... right in the middle of work ...to loose everything since my last save. Never have I had more of a reason and true motivation to change my life long preference from windows to Mac. All its going to take is for me to loose a couple more hours of my work and it's done. Thank god I wasn't trading stocks online where it could have cost me hard cash.
-
Anonymous
2014-04-28T01:09:03+00:00 I was fine once someone told me how to turn off the "automatic" updating without warning. That was great and it worked. It then notified me that there was updates and I scheduled them when I was ready. It worked, however, until something unbeknownst to me turned it back on. I can only imagine that an update did it. Furious once again but I turned it back off again. I only lost one item but had saved the draft.
-
Anonymous
2014-04-27T16:39:42+00:00 I am furious, this just happened to me after spending half an hour composing an email. My PC just shut down without warning. It must have force closed all my programs as I did not even have a draft copy of the email I have typed in Windows Live. I will be turning off automatic updates. I feel this is a poor solution, but as Microsoft don't admit they have a problem I feel this is the best solution. To me, this is worse than have a malware infected PC!
Gary.
-
Reza-Ameri 45,901 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2011-10-07T08:37:55+00:00 It is important that you get update as soon as possible, some update are related to security and in order to be apply you must restart your PC and Windows will ask you to do that. In Windows when update been installed, if it ask for restart it will shows a message and ask you to restart now or later. In Windows Vista and Windows 7 you could postpone it up to 4 hours and if you don't give any response system would restart automatically after 10 minutes. Windows will always warn you before restart by default.