Windows Updates that shut down computer without warning

Anonymous
2009-06-13T07:52:50+00:00

original title: Windows Updates that shut down

This will be short.  The next time you send through a Windows Update that completely restarts the computer, would you please warn me first.  I just received "Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista (KB967632) ... Recommended ... 6/13/2009" at approximately 3:00am, EDT.  I was not aware of it until I thought my computer crashed, and that was until I read that it was in Stage 2 of installing.  I was in the middle of some very important, complicated and delicate transactions.  Honestly, I'm not making this up to leverage my point.  All was lost.  I have never received an update while I was using the computer when a spontaneous shut down occurred due to a Windows Update.  This was truly awful.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-12T08:22:31+00:00

    I have this happen to me too, I am using windows 7. It is very frustrating, there is absolutely no warning, it just shuts down, and I too have thought that it had crashed. This morning it shut down on me when I was in the middle of making an online payment, grrrrr! I have now, after reading the posts on here, changed the settings to 'check for updates but let me choose whether to install them', so hopefully it will ask me in future! Control panel > system and security > windows update > change settings. I know this is an old post but maybe it will help someone who is doing a search for the problem, just like I did this morning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-30T13:43:56+00:00

    'Not true' is incorrect, although it would have helped if you had stated what o/s you were using

    In Windows>Update>Settings you can modify how updates are delivered/installed

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-16T11:09:25+00:00

    Absolutely it does shut down without warning to install updates. From the time I bought this laptop almost 2 years ago, it has done that every single time. Just went in to change the settings and we'll see

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-14T02:11:05+00:00

    I have Windows 10 and it happens to me AT LEAST 3 times a day. Microsoft really needs to work on their operating systems. The past two have really sucked. This is why more and more people are hating Microsoft and moving to other things like Mac and Linux. Microsoft's lost many customers due to these kinds of issues, they should really work on fixing this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-03-24T10:29:05+00:00

    Frustrating is an understatement. My pc constantly shuts down without warning, usually right in the smack bang middle of me doing some research or writing work. Happens all the time! It just happened to me 10 minutes ago, hence the reason that I am searching the net for a solution to the problem.

    It's a bit sad that a moderator is on here blatantly denying that this problem exists.

    If I could turn back time, I would've spent a little bit more and got that Mac.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments