What can I do to get Risk II to work on Windows 7?

Anonymous
2010-06-20T02:11:16+00:00

What can I do to get Risk II to work on Windows 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T22:46:05+00:00

Hi rafcaf75,

  1. Did you try to install the game? If yes, what was the result?

We did check for the compatibility of the game Risk II with Windows 7 and found no information. This means that the game may or may not be compatible with Windows 7.

See Risk II compatibility

Step 1: We recommend you install the game in either Windows XP or Vista compatibility mode and check the difference.

To do this, see Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Step 2: If nothing works, then you may install the game in Windows XP mode

a. Download and install Windows XP mode.

b. Click Start, click All Programs, and click Windows XP Mode.

c. Open the game setup file and install it.

d. Launch the game and play it.

Regards,

Syed - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-30T17:31:33+00:00

    Hello,

    I fixed with the suggestion given by DR_772 try to contact your graphic card manufacturer in order to find an already existing fix or to ask for it. Otherwise try to ask them to make the card compatible for running Risk II.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-30T10:31:12+00:00

    Heyy Gen mate, Thanks for all this info. I tried everything above, it doesn't work. I don't have Nvidia..., so that's not the problem. And as you know, I am one of the players on WarZone Lobby who helps out all new players with all the common problems. And I have always succeeded. But I can't help myself  LOL

    I have Windows 7 Ultimate, maybe that's the problem. I gave up trying hours and hours each day. (Blacky got Windows 7 Home Premium and she installed Risk months ago and she started playing Risk without changing any settings).

    Now I am waiting to get Windows 7 Home Premium, and then I will Install and run Risk again. If nothing works on this laptop, my choice is made: I'm going back to the store and pay to change the Bios and make this laptop compatible to put Xp on. Then I'm going to Install Xp Pro.

    Windows 7 sucks for me.... But I am sure there will be found a solution for this, at least there should be found a solution, an easy fix or whatever, or in the future all Risk-players are doomed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-29T08:34:14+00:00

    Hello,

    just to summarize for Risk II players community:

    1. Risk II, as you may read in the paper manual here:http://cypherinfo.imgur.com/risk_ii_videogame_by_hasbro#UM1fT requires, windows 98 to run;
    2. some windows operating systems has the windows compatibility mode to run legacy application in the newer windows OS; the first easy attempt to fix is to run any combination in windows compatibility mode;
    3. if that not fix try the solution suggested in the first answers in this thread; I fixed with one of them;
    4. it seems that the issues when runnng RISK II are on computer with NVIDIA graphic cards: so try to update to the last driver version and repeat the steps 2 and 3 with the new driver;
    5. if step 4 does not fix try to downgrade to the previous NVIDIA driver version then repeat the steps 2, 3 and 4;
    6. if the step 5 does not fix try to repeat it keeping on downgrading the NVIDIA driver;
    7. the web site of the NVIDIA driver is here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us try the beta versions too;
    8. if the step 7 does not fix go to the support forum of the NVIDIA driver version you use and submit the request to add the Risk II game compatibility to that driver version; see here for the latest beta of the driver version 285.38: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=211130&hl=28538&st=0
    9. another great chance to fix is to use a virtual machine that is an application that let you run any other application or operating system inside it even if you are using a different operating system on your computer; the idea is: you install the virtual machine, you install in it the best operating system  for running Risk II and run it inside the virtual machine even for playing multiplayer;
    10. if you are of those who want to make a reinstallation of your operating system and start from the scratch I strongly suggest you to try the fixes above without installing anything else different from the operating system and Risk II; it is very probable that some issues are related to conflicting applications; so the less you install the fast and clean your computer will run;
    11. last but not least I seem to have detected in the www.e-warzone.com players community some of the Risk II hasbro developers; so try to ask them for support they are the best to give it.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-28T21:49:04+00:00

    I have the same problem with my brand new Laptop with Windows 7. I cant play Risk II anymore after 11 years !!!!

    My old laptop, with XP Pro, has crashed, so I have no alternative.

    So, I've got a brand new laptop with Windows 7 and I've tried everything. But guess what, it just doesnt work. I have to do the same ctrl-alt-del trick to get 1 step further.

    I can't even play the original cd....   And that's even more strange.

    So, what's the problem? Is it the graphics card? Is it a driver? Please someone, find a solution for this.

    GenGiu, I hope you read this.... And don't laugh, please. Installing a VM is no option for me, I have no idea how to do that and I have no Cd with an XP operating system or whatever. I just want to be able to play Risk on this Laptop, as soon as possible.

    I am so desperate that I want to delete the whole Windows 7, buy a XP-cd and install XP Pro on this laptop, but people told me that that is not possible. I have even Googled it: Laptop with original W7 can't go back to XP...

     Someone PLEASE HELP AND FIND A SOLUTION TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.....

    If there is NO solution, I have to go and buy a new laptop with Xp, but is that even possible nowadays???

    I Love to play Risk, that's all I want.

    Thanks in forward,

    WAR_MBK

    Playing Risk II on http://www.e-warzone.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments