What can I do to get Risk II to work on Windows 7?

Anonymous
2010-06-20T02:11:16+00:00

What can I do to get Risk II to work on Windows 7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-06-20T22:46:05+00:00

Hi rafcaf75,

  1. Did you try to install the game? If yes, what was the result?

We did check for the compatibility of the game Risk II with Windows 7 and found no information. This means that the game may or may not be compatible with Windows 7.

See Risk II compatibility

Step 1: We recommend you install the game in either Windows XP or Vista compatibility mode and check the difference.

To do this, see Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Step 2: If nothing works, then you may install the game in Windows XP mode

a. Download and install Windows XP mode.

b. Click Start, click All Programs, and click Windows XP Mode.

c. Open the game setup file and install it.

d. Launch the game and play it.

Regards,

Syed - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-27T06:32:01+00:00

    "I have a home version of windows 7 and so couldn't use the microsoft virtual machine."

    Wouldn't matter.  XP MODE, available for Pro and Ultimate, is for legacy business applications and

    does not  run games.

    EDIT: 6/2015 - Found out that XP Mode does work with early  '2D' games with 'basic' graphics.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-26T19:58:31+00:00

    I have Windows 7 on an i7 and had the same problems as other i7 users. I tried everything on this forum with no avail.  I have a home version of windows 7 and so couldn't use the microsoft virtual machine. I finally downloaded virtual box and installed windows xp within the virtual box. Success! Risk 2 works perfectly within the virtual box windows xp.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-06T06:49:21+00:00

    This sounds like something that disabling 'Desktop Composition' in the Compatibility tab, or using the 'Classic' theme may have fixed in Win7, but this may not be possible with Win8.

    "In Windows Vista and Windows 7, desktop composition is disabled in a number of scenarios. In Windows 8, DWM desktop composition is a core operating system component and cannot be disabled. With a few exceptions, desktop composition is always on; it’s started before the user logon and remains active for the duration of a session. This section describes how Windows 8 treats the scenarios in Windows 7 where desktop composition is disabled. "

    Try the Win 8 forums for suggestions, or use a virtual machine as suggested in earlier posts.

    .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-06T02:21:00+00:00

    Hi everybody,

    I can installed Risk II in windows 8. It runs on my home computer and my laptop .my laptop is an HP Pavilion D v 7. Eight gigs of RAM with an Intel I 7 processor. My Problem with Risk II appears to be with the graphics. Risk II will run but it's like the sweep function on the screen doesn't seem to work properly. That is, as the risk game runs the updated screen is underneath the prior screen. I have to click on the screen ends and sweep up and down with my cursor and that would allow me to see the new updated screen for the game. So the conclusion I came to it's not a Windows a problem but somehow a problem with the interfacing between the graphics on my laptop and HP laptop. anybody has any solutions I be happy to hear them.

      Chuck

      xm******@MSN.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments