Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:22:48+00:00

Intermittent hangs. Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. How do I find this device? Is this probably a hardware problem?

I am investigating intermittent hangs, where my cursor becomes an hourglass and the system will not even respond to ctrl-alt-del.  In the event log, I find

  Event 11 atapi : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

How do i determine which physical device(s) this is associated with?  Does this indicate a hardware problem, or might driver or firmware be the source?The system has been running fine for a couple years.  I am not aware of any software changes that have occurred recently, though I did have to forcibly remove and reinstall iTunes a little while ago.

I have run SMART checks on all drives and run some diagnostics.  I ran chkdsk on the one that I thought was the culprit, but no errors.

Just in case it was a memory-related hang, I tried to use the microsoft memory diagnostic on floppy, but it wouldn't write to the floppy (even though I could format it and copy files freely).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-31T12:13:08+00:00

Hi

Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

I hope it helps

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-22T12:47:46+00:00

    I dealt with this error for a very long time.  I tried all of the fixes and nothing worked.  As it turns out, it was a failing hard drive. The errors stopped as soon as I replaced the hard drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-01T10:15:32+00:00

    While this error can indeed mean anything, like faulty hardware - it is indeed VERY OFTEN related to bad, cheap IDE/Sata Cables. I had this error multiple times already and i just again finished exchanging SATA cables on a PC to fix the errors.

    Main sources of the Event 11 Atapi error are

    *) Cheap SATA cables, usually those which come with your motherboard

    *) Old SATA cables which are used in a PC for some years already

    *) Low quality SATA cables

    The error can appear "all of a sudden" after months or years - and there is no visible indication that something is wrong, all cable connections look fine. The problem is that SATA cables and connectors have a very low life-span,  unplugging and re-plugging them a few times could already be reason enough to replace the cables.

    ( The error can cause lock-ups and delays in working with your PC since the PC tries to access drives and encounters errors, or your PC/Windows can also switch your IDE/SATA controller from DMA mode to the slower PIO mode which means that your drives will work less efficient than using DMA mode! Also..the indication that there is an error on "Atapi" does not necessarily mean that the connection to your CD/DVD drive is affected. I just did some troubleshooting assuming the same thing - just to find out it was actually the SATA connection on my second hard drive. )

    Solution: Get high quality SATA cables with metal latches. Replace ALL and ANY of the Sata cables, especially if you use those which came with your motherboard. I had this error multiple times already on various computers affecting various drives, burners and hard drives. Each and any time replacing the cables fixed the problem.

    Georg.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-07T13:41:49+00:00

    Hi imran

    i cant see PIO On Advanced settings

    -IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller-ATA Channel 0-ATA Channel 0-ATA Channel 1-SIS PCI IDE Controller-Standart Dual Channel PCI IDE ControllerMy problem ...

    Event ID 11 atapi

    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

    PS. My dvd-wr not work.(laptop)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-05-10T09:40:31+00:00

    I've been getting hangs like everyone else recently on this topic. I'm running Windows7 Ultimate 64bit.  It only seems to have started recently. I haven't fixed it yet. ;-(  

    Taking the advice I've read so far, but will try replacing the SATA cables. I only have two devices attached port0 = DVD, port1 = Samsung 1TB HDD. It's the HDD it seems to be complaining about.  Prior to this issue, I recently had to disable the PCI IDE controller because it was causing 100% cpu usage (one cpu only on a dual core cpu) via the interrupts. I'm going to make sure to blow out all the dust from the case/mobo and check all the cables are attached correctly.

    shame there isn't a one stop fix!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments