Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:22:48+00:00

Intermittent hangs. Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. How do I find this device? Is this probably a hardware problem?

I am investigating intermittent hangs, where my cursor becomes an hourglass and the system will not even respond to ctrl-alt-del.  In the event log, I find

  Event 11 atapi : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

How do i determine which physical device(s) this is associated with?  Does this indicate a hardware problem, or might driver or firmware be the source?The system has been running fine for a couple years.  I am not aware of any software changes that have occurred recently, though I did have to forcibly remove and reinstall iTunes a little while ago.

I have run SMART checks on all drives and run some diagnostics.  I ran chkdsk on the one that I thought was the culprit, but no errors.

Just in case it was a memory-related hang, I tried to use the microsoft memory diagnostic on floppy, but it wouldn't write to the floppy (even though I could format it and copy files freely).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-31T12:13:08+00:00

Hi

Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

I hope it helps

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-19T17:35:04+00:00

    OK. I fixed it.

    It turns out that it's a problem between motherboard and SSD. It seems to affect Dell, Sandisk, Crucial, and Intel from what I have seen. Apple users also reported it. But probably affects others.

    The problem did not happen with my Intel X25-E 64GB, only when I switched to the Crucial C300. But like I said it seems to affect other SSDs too like Sandisk.

    Here's the link to my post with the solution, which for me was simply to switch from IDE to AHCI.

    http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/C300-Disk-Freeze-ups-in-Windows-7/m-p/21860#M7502

    I have my system back!!! I am so happy. Please let me know if this works for any of you guys.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-19T17:48:22+00:00

    I've played with that couples months ago and it did not solve my problem,

    I have downloaded all version for AHCI/Chipset from Intel that match my XPS-410, no love for all of these, still crash into one minute hangs,

    Anyway I'm glad you made it,

    Best luck for you Carlos,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-20T06:14:37+00:00

    Dell had a workaround that involved turning off LPM (whatever that is) in the registry. There was a post about it in the Crucial forums in case that helps anyone.

    I did not use the latest version of Intel's AHCI which has TRIM now. I used an earlier version of Intel's AHCI: Intel PCH SATA AHCI Controller 8.9.0.1023 4/6/2009

    Maybe the version with TRIM has a problem? I am not going to test it on my system that's for sure. I am very happy with it right now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-12-22T10:16:24+00:00

    Has Microsoft able to tame this problem. I am fed up with this problem and thinking of switching back to XP.

    Currently i am using win 7 32 bit and facing this problem of "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1" atleast 5 times in a day leading to my laptop hang.

    If somebody knows the workaround of it please let me know.

    thanks,

    Pradeep

    *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments