Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:22:48+00:00

Intermittent hangs. Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. How do I find this device? Is this probably a hardware problem?

I am investigating intermittent hangs, where my cursor becomes an hourglass and the system will not even respond to ctrl-alt-del.  In the event log, I find

  Event 11 atapi : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

How do i determine which physical device(s) this is associated with?  Does this indicate a hardware problem, or might driver or firmware be the source?The system has been running fine for a couple years.  I am not aware of any software changes that have occurred recently, though I did have to forcibly remove and reinstall iTunes a little while ago.

I have run SMART checks on all drives and run some diagnostics.  I ran chkdsk on the one that I thought was the culprit, but no errors.

Just in case it was a memory-related hang, I tried to use the microsoft memory diagnostic on floppy, but it wouldn't write to the floppy (even though I could format it and copy files freely).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-31T12:13:08+00:00

Hi

Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

I hope it helps

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-07T16:20:08+00:00

    3.     Double-clickIDE ATA/ATAPI Controller in the right pane, and then double-click the appropriate controller.

    I have 6 controllers.  Which is the right one?  They are:

    • ATA Channel 0
    • ATA Channel 0
    • ATA Channel 1
    • ATA Channel 1
    • Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
    • Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0

    4.     On theAdvanced Settings tab, click PIO Only in the Transfer Mode box.

    There is only a "Enable DMA" checkbox in each of the above controllers.  Is that what you mean?

    As a point of reference, I had a perfectly running Vista/32 system with a clean event log.  These errors started when I changed to Win7/64.  I've run memory tests flawlessly umpteen times and I've replaced the HDD.  No joy.  Still have intermittent hangs and System Event Log Errors.

    Thanks for further clarification.  I really believe this is in the device drivers or the OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-07T16:08:14+00:00

    Hi

    Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

    Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

    drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

    I hope it helps

     

    What do you mean "Go into your setup"?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-05-31T02:53:51+00:00

    Again, the basic question is "how do I identify the physical device associated with***\Device\Ide\IdePort1***."

    All responses so far seem to just be guessing what device might be bad (it's your Hard Disk, no it's your DVD) and how to fix a bad device.  But that's not the first question that must be answered.  The first question is,"which device?"

    My system has multiple DVDs, and multiple HDs, both ATA and SATA.  \Device\Ide\IdePort1 is clearly identifyingONE of these many devices, but which one ???

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-05-17T15:14:04+00:00

    Hi Paul,

    First of all, this adress \Device\Ide\IdePort1  is related to what device you have into you machine,

    If you have a laptop with one HDD and one CD/DVD then the problem is at you CD/DVD, most of all machine have CD/DVD as secondary or slave drives, you can easy see that by rebooting and looking into setup, there you will see which one is the primary or secondary.

    Windows consider all disk/cd/dvd drives and count it from IdePort0,1,2,3,...

    Well once you know that, I can tell that there is no fix for that hang issue from MS, bcz it is something into Windows 7/Vista and new HDD and DVD drives

    I'm getting this problem with three diferent HDD and one DVD, DVD only gets it if there is a media into it and you read it.

    The only way I did not get the issue, ever, ever, with my old Maxtor HDD that comes into my machine.

    But I got it with Samsung, WD and Seagate, all are new HDD drives, even replaceing my drives and cable and update the drivers, couldn't fix it.

    It is a MS mess up into Windows 7 and Vista, a few peoples has got it into XP or 2003.

    Best for all here

    Wilson

    Desktop Dell XPS 410, 6GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Maxtor 250, C2Q Q6600

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments