Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:22:48+00:00

Intermittent hangs. Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. How do I find this device? Is this probably a hardware problem?

I am investigating intermittent hangs, where my cursor becomes an hourglass and the system will not even respond to ctrl-alt-del.  In the event log, I find

  Event 11 atapi : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

How do i determine which physical device(s) this is associated with?  Does this indicate a hardware problem, or might driver or firmware be the source?The system has been running fine for a couple years.  I am not aware of any software changes that have occurred recently, though I did have to forcibly remove and reinstall iTunes a little while ago.

I have run SMART checks on all drives and run some diagnostics.  I ran chkdsk on the one that I thought was the culprit, but no errors.

Just in case it was a memory-related hang, I tried to use the microsoft memory diagnostic on floppy, but it wouldn't write to the floppy (even though I could format it and copy files freely).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-31T12:13:08+00:00

Hi

Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

I hope it helps

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-23T14:48:23+00:00

    In all my research, people have virtually replaced everything and still have a semblance of the issue.  My guess is that 10% are reporting and 90% are living with it.  I thought it was a mobo problem, since I've replaced everything else at mostly my own expense, but I'm beginning to think it's a problem in the 64-bit kernel driver - the only consistent thing across all the problems I've read.  The good news may be that with Microsoft trying to chase us away, maybe they are onto the issue and are buying time until they solve it.  Then again, it could be vector-borne, but if that's true - it's a very good virus, because I'm pretty vigilant.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-23T14:27:37+00:00

    Hi zzzzzztt

    Welcome to the world of event 11 atapi Error, My only hope is that someone from Microsoft got here and take it as a priority, bcz otherwise we have to live with that or replace our OS from Mac OS or Linux, what I think can fix the problem for some matter but bring up others bcz we need to be able to work we our stuffs .

    It is frustrate I know, BUT do what?

    Good luck, if you find something let us know, so be it for all of us.

    Wilson

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-23T08:11:57+00:00

    helloooooo!

    isnt it frustrating! i'm going to c&p my post from another forum.

    please help! my PC is now 15 months old. after 6 months i was getting freeze ups. could do nothing but reset/ hard reboot. manufacturer helped me flash BIOS and check HDD. i also opened the case and ensured all cables were secure.

    i checked device manager and this is the message that was coming up:

    The device 'Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S ATA Device' (IDE\CdRomOptiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7200S_________________1.0B____\5&3afaca79&0&1.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

    along with cdrom code 15 errors and atapi code 11 errors. after securing cables all went ok... for another few months. just before warranty was due to end, i bit the bullet and sent machine back, as the lock ups had become so chronic and reboot was impossible unless i left the machine for an hour or so. all freeze ups would occur within minutes of booting. if i got past that time, i could leave the machine running for hours (but with no DVD drive).

    company eventually could replicate fault (huh? why couldnt they see error codes?)but didnt know the problem.

    eventually, i am told, they swapped out MB, cables, DVDRW all to no avail and finally said it was a faulty HDD, which they replaced, tested machine and sent back.

    all seems to have been well since end april until yesterday, when i saw the symptom return - HDD stays on constant, error are in device manager, same as before (see above).

    i flashed the DVD firmware yesterday morning and all seemed well for a few hours... and now again this morning on boot up, the HDD is continually on and the error log is showing the same message as above..

    its not started freezing yet, but no doubt it will escalate. any ideas? its doing my head in :o(

    Vista 64 bit service pack 2

    biostar MB

    optiarc dvdrw

    4gbs ram

    pentium chip & ATI graphics

    yesterday PC didnt find the DVD drive at all. but today, i have 7 error codes.

    the first is a code 15, saying cdrom is not ready for access, then i get code 12, its disappeared without being made ready to do so, then 3 code 15 saying its not ready for access, then a code 11 atapi error - the driver detected a controller error on \device\ide\ideport3

    • , then another code 15 not ready for access.

    i looked in device manager bit and i have similar to poster TJude, 2 x ATA channel 0, 2 x ATA channel 1 then 2 x Intel things.

    i didnt even know i had an IDE port 3 and going back to my original story, the errors before the HDD swap out were on IDE port 2.

    surely there must be an answer to this? and how come only a few of us seem to be getting it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-07-21T14:35:54+00:00

    Hi TJude,

    Thank you for your post.

    It looks like your problem is similar, but differs from the original question.

    Please start your own question and provide the details of your problem so that we can help you further.


    Chris

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments