Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:22:48+00:00

Intermittent hangs. Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. How do I find this device? Is this probably a hardware problem?

I am investigating intermittent hangs, where my cursor becomes an hourglass and the system will not even respond to ctrl-alt-del.  In the event log, I find

  Event 11 atapi : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

How do i determine which physical device(s) this is associated with?  Does this indicate a hardware problem, or might driver or firmware be the source?The system has been running fine for a couple years.  I am not aware of any software changes that have occurred recently, though I did have to forcibly remove and reinstall iTunes a little while ago.

I have run SMART checks on all drives and run some diagnostics.  I ran chkdsk on the one that I thought was the culprit, but no errors.

Just in case it was a memory-related hang, I tried to use the microsoft memory diagnostic on floppy, but it wouldn't write to the floppy (even though I could format it and copy files freely).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-31T12:13:08+00:00

Hi

Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

I hope it helps

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-08-18T13:51:32+00:00

    I have lost the counts of how many times I did it, replace the cables did not work for me,

    Now I have installed the Win2-7 pack transformation on my Linux Ubuntu 10.04, it makes my Linux desktop looks like Win7 in most of all matters, I also have installed everything I need on this machine,

    It is very nice to have a machine running with no hangs, I am very very happy with that.

    Good luck for of you that still fight the Windows Haaaaaannnnnngs!

    Wilson

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-16T17:21:25+00:00

    Hello!

    In my case, to resolve this problem i just needed to unplug and re-plug my hard drive cables, after having shut down the computer of course.

    The error was gone after reboot.

    Gab

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-09T11:08:40+00:00

    Hi JTude,

    Humm, that could make sense, for certain things on our machines, however my machine has 6gb memory and a ATI-RADEON X600 which used to have 256mb when I bought it 5 years ago on my Dell XPS running XP and now it only address 126mb, AMD said it is right, bcz XP use a different way to handle that, anyway I just figure out one thing, I have my WD Raptor from 2 years back and using Windows 2003 with 4gb and I had the same hangs problem when I used this WD drive as a boot, when I place my original Maxtor 250gb it has ever and never got this issue in any circumstances, it is always good with no hangs, when I bought the Seagate 1tb Barracuda and place it as my boot, dang! the hang things start over.

    so in my case it is not related to my memories neither to my display card, it is my Windows, it just won't work, somehow the new hdd with old mobos and windows, got a poor combination making it to got bad behave.

    Microsoft should test it, old machines with new hdd and windows before launch it on the air.

    NOW I GOT MY HANGS FINALLY GONE AFTER DONE WHAT I PROMISSE, I JUST HAS FINISHED TO SET MY UBUNTU 10.04, A VERY NICE OS, AND I INSTALLED IT INTO ONE OF MY FREE PARTITION ON THE 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA.

    MY MACHINE IS NOW FLYING TO START, NO MORE HANGS, ALWAYS FAST AS I EXPECT!

    MICROSOFT DON'T WANT US TO BE HAPPY WITH OUR MACHINES, AND I DON'T WANT TO REPLACE MY MACHINE BCZ OF ONE THINGS THAT MICROSOFT SHOULD FIX.

    I CAN'T FIX MY WINDOWS, BUT I CAN REPLACE IT!

    I MAY LOST THE MONEY I SPEND WITH THIS WINDOWS, BUT ONCE I GET DOMAIN OVER LINUX UBUNTU I WILL NEVER MISS WINDOWS LIKE MANY OTHERS PEOPLES.

    I AM STILL TESTING MY UBUNTU, TODAY I WILL INSTALL RATIONAL APPLICATION DEVELOPER, A VERY HEAVY APP I USE TO WORK, THAT ONE WILL BE MY LAST TEST, IF IT GET INSTALLED AND WORKS, I'M DONE, NO NEEDS FOR WINDOWS ANYMORE!

    I WILL LET YOU GUYS KNOW ALL MY FINDS

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-07T15:18:12+00:00

    In all my research, people have virtually replaced everything and still have a semblance of the issue.  My guess is that 10% are reporting and 90% are living with it.  I thought it was a mobo problem, since I've replaced everything else at mostly my own expense, but I'm beginning to think it's a problem in the 64-bit kernel driver - the only consistent thing across all the problems I've read.  The good news may be that with Microsoft trying to chase us away, maybe they are onto the issue and are buying time until they solve it.  Then again, it could be vector-borne, but if that's true - it's a very good virus, because I'm pretty vigilant.

    I seem to have solved my problem by replacing my video card.  I dumped the 6200LE card I had because it was failing to start the 2nd screen when it came out of suspend, and replaced it with a current card - GTS-250.  Lo and behold, my hanging problems seem to be gone and ATAPI errors are no longer in the event log.  I'm only up 20 hours with the new card so things could change, but so far, so good.  Now all I have to do is cleanup all the residual problems on my HDD and apologize to ECS for the intense pressure.

    Venturing a guess as to what I was seeing - this is a way-old video card and I'm sure the drivers were well out-of-date.  W7-64 used generic drivers but not only did they not work apparently, which is acceptable for a card this old, but they did not help in any way report or diagnose the problem.    All along, the video card would have been the last thing I would have suspected, given the reporting and troubleshooting data given to me.  Lest I improperly accuse, I thought maybe a discussion would help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments