Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:22:48+00:00

Intermittent hangs. Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. How do I find this device? Is this probably a hardware problem?

I am investigating intermittent hangs, where my cursor becomes an hourglass and the system will not even respond to ctrl-alt-del.  In the event log, I find

  Event 11 atapi : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

How do i determine which physical device(s) this is associated with?  Does this indicate a hardware problem, or might driver or firmware be the source?The system has been running fine for a couple years.  I am not aware of any software changes that have occurred recently, though I did have to forcibly remove and reinstall iTunes a little while ago.

I have run SMART checks on all drives and run some diagnostics.  I ran chkdsk on the one that I thought was the culprit, but no errors.

Just in case it was a memory-related hang, I tried to use the microsoft memory diagnostic on floppy, but it wouldn't write to the floppy (even though I could format it and copy files freely).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-31T12:13:08+00:00

Hi

Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

I hope it helps

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-18T22:39:09+00:00

    Maybe not, but I will see other errors. Everything has bugs. The difference is how quickly and easily can you fix them and what support you get. I am not interested in switching to a different OS at this time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-07T22:27:50+00:00

    Try Ubuntu 10.04 now and you will never see this error again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-07T22:21:48+00:00

    I get the same thing.

    I have a Crucial M225 SSD with an Intel DP55KG running Windows 7 64bit.

    I have replaced cables, switched ports, disabled prefetching and write caching, updated bios, updated drivers, updated firmware. The computer still hangs once every half hour or so for a minute.

    I get plenty of controller errors every few seconds, and it always refers to the SSD drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-26T09:22:31+00:00

    Is it a problem of Win7 or my HDD? What I need to change?  =/

    All the time when I start-up my PC got the same problem "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1."

    I have unplugged and re-pugged my hard drive cables on different ports but nothing.

    I have disabled my CD-ROM to avoid conflicts  but nothing.

    I have run the utility chkdsk with NO ERRORS found.

    Log Name:      System

    Source:        atapi

    Date:          26-Sep-10 10:38:46 AM

    Event ID:      11

    Task Category: None

    Level:         Error

    Keywords:      Classic

    User:          N/A

    Computer:      Nova

    Description:

    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

    Event Xml:

    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

    <System>

    <Provider Name="atapi" />

    <EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>

    <Level>2</Level>

    <Task>0</Task>

    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-09-26T08:38:46.442216700Z" />

    <EventRecordID>4764</EventRecordID>

    <Channel>System</Channel>

    <Computer>Nova</Computer>

    <Security />

    </System>

    <EventData>

    <Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort1</Data>

    <Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000001000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>

    </EventData>

    </Event>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments