Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:22:48+00:00

Intermittent hangs. Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. How do I find this device? Is this probably a hardware problem?

I am investigating intermittent hangs, where my cursor becomes an hourglass and the system will not even respond to ctrl-alt-del.  In the event log, I find

  Event 11 atapi : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

How do i determine which physical device(s) this is associated with?  Does this indicate a hardware problem, or might driver or firmware be the source?The system has been running fine for a couple years.  I am not aware of any software changes that have occurred recently, though I did have to forcibly remove and reinstall iTunes a little while ago.

I have run SMART checks on all drives and run some diagnostics.  I ran chkdsk on the one that I thought was the culprit, but no errors.

Just in case it was a memory-related hang, I tried to use the microsoft memory diagnostic on floppy, but it wouldn't write to the floppy (even though I could format it and copy files freely).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-31T12:13:08+00:00

Hi

Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

I hope it helps

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-07T13:40:13+00:00

    The fix for my ASUS motherboard was updating the ACPI\ATK0110 drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-05-27T19:01:35+00:00

    I bought a new computer in February and installed Windows 7 64 on it.

    After a while I started to experience constant crashes and hangs where the system would totally lock up and event viewer would show a constant stream of error messages, one after the other, every second:  "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1"

    To make matters worse, when I restart the machine then it will frequently fail to boot, showing the error message "0xc00000e9 and unexpected i/o error has occurred"  Once this happens it is pot luck if windows will actually succeed in booting, sometimes it may succeed on the 5th try, or the 500th.

    I've reinstalled windows numerous times, which fixes things for a while, but often the installation of a new program and start this cycle of errors again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-05-15T04:51:35+00:00

    I have a Toshiba Satellite L455D laptop that is frequently hanging up, about six to eight times per day.  I've tried almost everything that I've read about and there is still no solution.  Someone suggested I look at the Event Viewer and I did find Atapi and Atikmdag errors around the time of the hangs.  However, when I checked the Event Viewer when the laptop was working correctly, I still found those same types of errors.  So I'm not convinced that those errors are the true source of the hang-ups.  I can see that changing the hard drive would get rid of the problem because you start from scratch and, as yet, haven't installed whatever is the real cause of the problem.  Are there any other suggestions or any success stories out there?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am about out. Thanks for your help, Carole Saylor

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-05-10T09:40:31+00:00

    I've been getting hangs like everyone else recently on this topic. I'm running Windows7 Ultimate 64bit.  It only seems to have started recently. I haven't fixed it yet. ;-(  

    Taking the advice I've read so far, but will try replacing the SATA cables. I only have two devices attached port0 = DVD, port1 = Samsung 1TB HDD. It's the HDD it seems to be complaining about.  Prior to this issue, I recently had to disable the PCI IDE controller because it was causing 100% cpu usage (one cpu only on a dual core cpu) via the interrupts. I'm going to make sure to blow out all the dust from the case/mobo and check all the cables are attached correctly.

    shame there isn't a one stop fix!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments