Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:22:48+00:00

Intermittent hangs. Event log shows event 11 atapi: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. How do I find this device? Is this probably a hardware problem?

I am investigating intermittent hangs, where my cursor becomes an hourglass and the system will not even respond to ctrl-alt-del.  In the event log, I find

  Event 11 atapi : The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

How do i determine which physical device(s) this is associated with?  Does this indicate a hardware problem, or might driver or firmware be the source?The system has been running fine for a couple years.  I am not aware of any software changes that have occurred recently, though I did have to forcibly remove and reinstall iTunes a little while ago.

I have run SMART checks on all drives and run some diagnostics.  I ran chkdsk on the one that I thought was the culprit, but no errors.

Just in case it was a memory-related hang, I tried to use the microsoft memory diagnostic on floppy, but it wouldn't write to the floppy (even though I could format it and copy files freely).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-05-31T12:13:08+00:00

Hi

Go into your setup and look at what drive is adressed at each port; 1,2,3,4....

Then go to Device Manager and look how many SATA controller you have and how many ports for each, then start count from 0 for IdePort0, 1, 2, etc. for each SATA controller, so if you got 4 ports for each SATA controler, here it is how you got to count:

drive 1 - IdePort0, drive 2 - IdePort1, drive 3 - IdePort2 and drive 4 - IdePort3 in sequence

I hope it helps

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-13T03:03:24+00:00

    BinduR's initial response is from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/262448 and applies to Windows 2000.

    What OS are you running?

    Event 11 can happen in all sorts of ways, it seems, but I'm getting exactly what you're getting. Event ID: 11. Source: atapi. "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1."

    I have a Dell XPS m1530 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

    I've been to the Device Manager and can't figure out where IdePort1 is either. When you say hangs, what exactly do you mean? A really common thing for me is that Firefox stops responding and the whole system kind of hangs like what you described: "My mouse stays active and I even have window control for a while, but cant launch new apps nor do anything in the ones I have running." and then everything goes back to normal within 30 seconds or a minute? I don't know.

    Do you still think this Event 11 error is related to your system hangs?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-09T21:42:29+00:00

    I have disabled two IDE drives and removed them physically from my system.  I'm not getting the log messages, but the hangs continue.  How can I determine if this is a software hand or hardware hang?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-30T23:33:20+00:00

    Hi Bindu,

    I dont have a SCSI controller on my system.  How do I know which device to disable?  The error is \Device\Ide\Ideport1.

    How do i know that this is my DVD drive or one of my hard drives?

    Also, the error doesnt appear related to the hangs.  The hangs continue but the errors have stopped.  How do I further diagnose the system hang?

    My mouse stays active and I even have window control for a while, but cant launch new apps nor do anything in the ones I have running.  I can now reproduce it by simply starting a "System Diagnostics" job.

    Please advise

    Thanks,

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-11-25T13:04:33+00:00

    Hi PaulbAustin,

    Sorry for the delayed response.

    Event ID 11 is a more serious error than an I/O time-out. This error could be a result of a bad or corrupted device driver, a hardware problem, a malfunctioning device, poor cabling, or termination issues. This is an error occurring within the driver or hardware itself, not the cluster software. 

    I would suggest you to disable the cd/dvd drive from the device manager and check if the issue still persists.

    1. Click start
    2. Type devmgmt.msc in Start Search and press enter.
    3. In the device manager expand cd/dvd rom drive
    4. Right click on the driver and choose disable.

    If this works it can be an issue with the drive itself. You might have to replace it.

    Also try the cd/dvd rom drive on a different computer and check if the issue persists.

    Check the version of the SCSI controller BIOS and the device firmware revision. If the issue still persists you migth have to contact your computer  manufacturer for the latest updates. 

    Regards,

    Bindu S - Microsoft Support

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments