http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct\_memory\_access
Judging by the second paragraph, I'd say even though we can't do this: "On the
Advanced Settings tab, click PIO Only in the Transfer Mode box"
because all our advanced settings tabs have is the ability to check or uncheck "Enable DMA" I assume that unchecking the box would in fact yield "PIO Only."
For some reason my ATA channels are as follows:
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 2
The bottom appears to be unused. The middle one is used by "device type" ATA disk. The top one is being used by "device type" "ATAPI Cdrom
"
So I can only assume that it's my blu-ray drive that's been causing the error? Oh and Dell just happens to have a driver on their support site for every blu-ray drive except this Matshita BD-RE UJ225S. Instead of disabling it, I'm going to try disabling DMA
on my first ATA Channel 0 and see where that takes me.
Please someone correct me if any of what I'm deducing here makes no sense at all.
PS: Also from wikipedia - I guess that's why Bindu R suggested disabling your optical drive and not your hard drives.
"ATAPI devices include CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives, tape drives , and large-capacity floppy drives such as the Zip drive and SuperDisk drive ."