Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter driver problem (Error code 31)

Anonymous
2010-02-09T04:22:57+00:00

My Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter is not up to date (It tells me this when I try to connect wirelessly to something and also when I view it in Device Manager, it has a caution sign next to it.) and when I went to install it in Windows update, it failed several times to install so I gave up. Now I keep going to update the driver in device manager but it keeps saying it is up to date, even though it's not! I uninstalled the driver sofware completely and restarted my PC in hopes that it would install new driver software, but it didn't, it just reinstalled the old driver software and it still says the driver software is old and not functioning properly.

By the way I am running WINDOWS 7.

PLEASE HELP! I can't even connect to the internet!

Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-01T16:27:10+00:00

well you cant uninstall it its a part of windows but you can disable it, at first right clicking and click disable on device manger,but i found a command that disables it to.at first i though it was  the same as above but it actually disables the service and its gone wow first stop it in cmd as admin "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork" no quotes. then stop the service by  typing "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow" also no quotes IT WORKS WOW TRY IT!!!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-21T09:11:55+00:00

Many Many Thanks Tyler

This worked straight away:

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-10T02:57:28+00:00

Hi BlackOut0189,

The Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter is a new feature in Windows 7, Wireless Hosted Network:

About the Wireless Hosted Network

This device is just a virtual device and it should not affect connecting the wireless network with the physical wireless adapter.

Hence, I’d suggest you to uninstall and re-install only the wireless network adapter drivers from Device manager and check if that fixes the issue.

Note: Before uninstalling the drivers from the device manager, make sure you have a backup of the installation files.

It’s a good idea to create a restore point before uninstalling the drivers. A restore point is a representation of a stored state of your computer's system files. You can use a restore point to restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. Restore points are automatically created by System Restore weekly and when System Restore detects the beginning of a change to your computer, such as when you install a program or a driver.

Refer the following Microsoft article for more information on creating a restore point:

Create a restore point

**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point**

Visit the manufacturer’s website, download the latest wireless drivers and save it on your hard disk.

To uninstall the wireless connection from Device Manager,

  1. Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
  2. Locate Network adapters and expand the same.
  3. Select the wireless connection, right-click and select Uninstall.
  4. Restart the computer, if prompted.

Drivers should get installed automatically after restarting the computer.

Now, you may install the latest wireless drivers and check if that fixes the issue.

Hope this helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-12T17:00:36+00:00

    Thank you! This worked for me!!!! Woo hoo!!! ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-02-12T17:51:32+00:00

    Well, I obviously was happy too early... because I found in the meantime that

    "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork" gets persisted, however

    "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow" does not get persisted...

    In other words, running this in a Admin-Command-Prompt helps exactly ONE time - as soon as I wake up my machine from sleeping, and check the status with "netsh wlan show hostednetwork", the result is that the mode is set to "Allowed" again - and that means, the next time I wakeup the machine, it takes ages (~30 - 50 seconds) again before the WLAN-connections gets established...

    Does anybody know how I can get the mode=disallow to be persisted?

    Another interesting fact I found before I ran over this thread:

    If I change the power saving option "Password protection on wakeup" from "Require a password on (recommended)" to "Don't require a password", everything is fine concerning the time period it takes to establish the WLAN connection after wakeup (that means, even without the NETSH commands as described in this thread).

    So, from my point of view, it seems to be something related to security (probably in conjunction with this hosted network stuff).

    The problem: Disabling "Password protection on wakeup" is not a solution at all for me personally, as I'm on the road with my notebook quite often, and I want to be sure that the data on my notebook isn't accessible without unlocking the screen, in case the device would get stolen or I would loose it somehow... to protect any customer data and other sensitive data on it...

    Any professional input from somebody at Microsoft to finally get a solution for this would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Franz Kohl

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments