Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter driver problem (Error code 31)

Anonymous
2010-02-09T04:22:57+00:00

My Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter is not up to date (It tells me this when I try to connect wirelessly to something and also when I view it in Device Manager, it has a caution sign next to it.) and when I went to install it in Windows update, it failed several times to install so I gave up. Now I keep going to update the driver in device manager but it keeps saying it is up to date, even though it's not! I uninstalled the driver sofware completely and restarted my PC in hopes that it would install new driver software, but it didn't, it just reinstalled the old driver software and it still says the driver software is old and not functioning properly.

By the way I am running WINDOWS 7.

PLEASE HELP! I can't even connect to the internet!

Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-01T16:27:10+00:00

well you cant uninstall it its a part of windows but you can disable it, at first right clicking and click disable on device manger,but i found a command that disables it to.at first i though it was  the same as above but it actually disables the service and its gone wow first stop it in cmd as admin "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork" no quotes. then stop the service by  typing "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow" also no quotes IT WORKS WOW TRY IT!!!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-21T09:11:55+00:00

Many Many Thanks Tyler

This worked straight away:

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-10T02:57:28+00:00

Hi BlackOut0189,

The Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter is a new feature in Windows 7, Wireless Hosted Network:

About the Wireless Hosted Network

This device is just a virtual device and it should not affect connecting the wireless network with the physical wireless adapter.

Hence, I’d suggest you to uninstall and re-install only the wireless network adapter drivers from Device manager and check if that fixes the issue.

Note: Before uninstalling the drivers from the device manager, make sure you have a backup of the installation files.

It’s a good idea to create a restore point before uninstalling the drivers. A restore point is a representation of a stored state of your computer's system files. You can use a restore point to restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. Restore points are automatically created by System Restore weekly and when System Restore detects the beginning of a change to your computer, such as when you install a program or a driver.

Refer the following Microsoft article for more information on creating a restore point:

Create a restore point

**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point**

Visit the manufacturer’s website, download the latest wireless drivers and save it on your hard disk.

To uninstall the wireless connection from Device Manager,

  1. Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
  2. Locate Network adapters and expand the same.
  3. Select the wireless connection, right-click and select Uninstall.
  4. Restart the computer, if prompted.

Drivers should get installed automatically after restarting the computer.

Now, you may install the latest wireless drivers and check if that fixes the issue.

Hope this helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-09T17:50:45+00:00

    Can you upload the Windows Network Diagnostics report?

    Open Device Manager, under Network Adapters right click on the Microsoft Vitural WiFi Miniport Adapter, and choose Disable. Aftere that please test if  the issue persists.

    I hope this can help you.

    Sincerely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-31T17:30:45+00:00

    The mini adapter was causing issue with my wireless connection. I have Windows 7 with the Broadcom Network Adapter. When starting up my computer it would tell me connected but no internet access and sometimes it would say connected and have internet access, but couldn't surf.

    Trouble shooting the wireless it always told me that it was an invalid IP address and the troubleshooter had fixed it, but everytime I restarted the computer I had to go thru the same trouble shooting to get connected. I decided to disable the mini adapter and ever since I have connected on start up normally. 

    I wouldn't even bother with the mini adapter, seems like a useless adapter when the computer comes with another  adapter that works fine by itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments