well you cant uninstall it its a part of windows but you can disable it, at first right clicking and click disable on device manger,but i found a command that disables it to.at first i though it was the same as above but it actually disables the service and its gone wow first stop it in cmd as admin "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork" no quotes. then stop the service by typing "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow" also no quotes IT WORKS WOW TRY IT!!!
Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter driver problem (Error code 31)
My Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter is not up to date (It tells me this when I try to connect wirelessly to something and also when I view it in Device Manager, it has a caution sign next to it.) and when I went to install it in Windows update, it failed several times to install so I gave up. Now I keep going to update the driver in device manager but it keeps saying it is up to date, even though it's not! I uninstalled the driver sofware completely and restarted my PC in hopes that it would install new driver software, but it didn't, it just reinstalled the old driver software and it still says the driver software is old and not functioning properly.
By the way I am running WINDOWS 7.
PLEASE HELP! I can't even connect to the internet!
Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Many Many Thanks Tyler
This worked straight away:
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow
Hi BlackOut0189,
The Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter is a new feature in Windows 7, Wireless Hosted Network:
About the Wireless Hosted Network
This device is just a virtual device and it should not affect connecting the wireless network with the physical wireless adapter.
Hence, I’d suggest you to uninstall and re-install only the wireless network adapter drivers from Device manager and check if that fixes the issue.
Note: Before uninstalling the drivers from the device manager, make sure you have a backup of the installation files.
It’s a good idea to create a restore point before uninstalling the drivers. A restore point is a representation of a stored state of your computer's system files. You can use a restore point to restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. Restore points are automatically created by System Restore weekly and when System Restore detects the beginning of a change to your computer, such as when you install a program or a driver.
Refer the following Microsoft article for more information on creating a restore point:
Create a restore point
**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point**
Visit the manufacturer’s website, download the latest wireless drivers and save it on your hard disk.
To uninstall the wireless connection from Device Manager,
- Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
- Locate Network adapters and expand the same.
- Select the wireless connection, right-click and select Uninstall.
- Restart the computer, if prompted.
Drivers should get installed automatically after restarting the computer.
Now, you may install the latest wireless drivers and check if that fixes the issue.
Hope this helps.
Gokul - Microsoft Support
[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
42 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2010-07-24T15:37:55+00:00 how i can Remove "Microsoft Virtual WI-FI miniport Adapter" permanently in my networks Connection??
because I had to uninstall the driver but when I restart my computer he reappeared..
Please the info..
Thx
-
Anonymous
2010-09-05T08:16:05+00:00 Hi BlackOut0189,
TheMicrosoft virtual wifi miniport adapter is a new feature in Windows 7, Wireless Hosted Network:
About the Wireless Hosted Network
This device is just a virtual device and it should not affect connecting the wireless network with the physical wireless adapter.
Hence, I’d suggest you to uninstall and re-install only the wireless network adapter driversfrom Device manager and check if that fixes the issue.
Note: Before uninstalling the drivers from the device manager, make sure you have a backup of the installation files.
It’s a good idea to create a restore point before uninstalling the drivers. A restore point is a representation of a stored state of your computer's system files. You can use a restore point to restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. Restore points are automatically created by System Restore weekly and when System Restore detects the beginning of a change to your computer, such as when you install a program or a driver.
Refer the following Microsoft article for more information on creating a restore point:
Create a restore point
**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point**
Visit the manufacturer’s website, download the latest wireless drivers and save it on your hard disk.
To uninstall the wireless connection from Device Manager,
- Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
- Locate Network adapters and expand the same.
- Select the wireless connection, right-click and selectUninstall.
- Restart the computer, if prompted.
Drivers should get installed automatically after restarting the computer.
Now, you may install the latest wireless drivers and check if that fixes the issue.
Hope this helps.
Gokul - Microsoft Support
[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
I am also having a problem because of this virtual device and the above "correction" was of absolutely no use! One of the very first attempts I made at rectifying this situation was to do a system restore to a point prior to when this problem began (which was after a windows update) and it worked fine for a couple of days. After the next update, problem returns. This virtual device is absolutely useless for anything I do with my machine and no matter how many times I attempt to uninstall it, it keeps reappearing; disabling it only works temporarily--doesn't even last until a reboot. Uninstalling it gives the same results. When this virtual device is present, it causes major problems with my wireless connection; If I am able to connect to a wireless network, I cannot STAY connected and it will take me a very long time (usually, approximately two minutes) to achieve a connection, data transfer speeds are severely impacted by this as well! I would like to just know how I can remove this device and it stay removed! I did not pay over $1,200 for a laptop that does not function to its potential because of a bug with its operating system! Please advise me on a remedy for this problem!