well you cant uninstall it its a part of windows but you can disable it, at first right clicking and click disable on device manger,but i found a command that disables it to.at first i though it was the same as above but it actually disables the service and its gone wow first stop it in cmd as admin "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork" no quotes. then stop the service by typing "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow" also no quotes IT WORKS WOW TRY IT!!!
Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter driver problem (Error code 31)
My Microsoft Virtual Miniport Adapter is not up to date (It tells me this when I try to connect wirelessly to something and also when I view it in Device Manager, it has a caution sign next to it.) and when I went to install it in Windows update, it failed several times to install so I gave up. Now I keep going to update the driver in device manager but it keeps saying it is up to date, even though it's not! I uninstalled the driver sofware completely and restarted my PC in hopes that it would install new driver software, but it didn't, it just reinstalled the old driver software and it still says the driver software is old and not functioning properly.
By the way I am running WINDOWS 7.
PLEASE HELP! I can't even connect to the internet!
Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Many Many Thanks Tyler
This worked straight away:
netsh wlan stop hostednetwork
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow
Hi BlackOut0189,
The Microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter is a new feature in Windows 7, Wireless Hosted Network:
About the Wireless Hosted Network
This device is just a virtual device and it should not affect connecting the wireless network with the physical wireless adapter.
Hence, I’d suggest you to uninstall and re-install only the wireless network adapter drivers from Device manager and check if that fixes the issue.
Note: Before uninstalling the drivers from the device manager, make sure you have a backup of the installation files.
It’s a good idea to create a restore point before uninstalling the drivers. A restore point is a representation of a stored state of your computer's system files. You can use a restore point to restore your computer's system files to an earlier point in time. Restore points are automatically created by System Restore weekly and when System Restore detects the beginning of a change to your computer, such as when you install a program or a driver.
Refer the following Microsoft article for more information on creating a restore point:
Create a restore point
**http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point**
Visit the manufacturer’s website, download the latest wireless drivers and save it on your hard disk.
To uninstall the wireless connection from Device Manager,
- Click Start, type Device Manager in the Start search box and hit Enter.
- Locate Network adapters and expand the same.
- Select the wireless connection, right-click and select Uninstall.
- Restart the computer, if prompted.
Drivers should get installed automatically after restarting the computer.
Now, you may install the latest wireless drivers and check if that fixes the issue.
Hope this helps.
Gokul - Microsoft Support
[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
42 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2012-10-09T21:22:55+00:00 Hi Clay,
As you can see from all my subsequent messages after the message you've quoted, I never received a working solution from Microsoft, unfortunately.
Running the two "netsh..." commands as described in this thread never worked for me completely, as the deactivation always was reversed once I waked up the machine the second time after using the commands.
I helped myself by creating a scheduled task, which runs a CMD process which in turn runs the "netsh wlan set hostednetwork = disallow" command everytime I unlock my machine (3 minutes after unlocking the machine, to be precise).
The exact command-line (scheduled task action) is:
cmd.exe /C "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow"
The trigger for the task is "On every unlock" (with option "Delay task for: 3 minutes").
Hope that helps, good luck!
Kind regards,
Franz
-
Anonymous
2012-10-07T13:59:20+00:00 @Paolo E.:
- Click on the Start button and type "command" (w/o the quotes) in the search box
- RIGHT-click on the entry "Command Prompt" in the "Programs" category (typically shown at the very top of the list)
- From the context menu, click "Run as administrator"
- Type in "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork" (w/o the quotes) and press ENTER
- Type in "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow" (w/o the quotes) and press ENTER
- Close the Command Prompt window
You're done :-)
@Roy Spanton:
You most likely missed to do it right at step 2. as described above - you need to run the Command Prompt with the "Run as administrator" method as described above in order to be able to carry out step 5. Why? Because in Windows 7, even if you were the one who installed the OS (which means, your account created initially during setup is an Admin account), there are some "severe" commands which you aren't allowed to carry out without this explicit "Run as administrator" method - it's just an added level of security.
@TylerSanches:
THANK YOU for providing this solution! Before that I found, that I was able to reduce the re-connection time from ~50 seconds to ~5 seconds by disabling the option "Require a password on wakeup" in Control Panel > Power Options. I still have no idea how this could correlate to your solution, but anyway, now I'm lucky because I couldn't disable this option due to security reasons.
@all: Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Franz
Franz,
I tried following the jumps from post to post, but it is a bit confusing. Is it possible to give the bottom line as to whether you ever got the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter completely and permanently disabled? If so how.
Problems seem to have started with me with the Windows update KB 2732059. If you are interested see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/unable-to-connect-to-wireless-after-installing-the/663cdd31-6379-4173-acb7-78c8b49f5eb6