Windows 7 backup fails with Error code: 0x8078012D

Anonymous
2009-12-21T01:28:35+00:00

Vista backups worked fine till I upgraded to Windows 7.

Now every backup fails with the same I/O error code 0x8078012D.

This is on a Toshiba laptop manually backing up over USB to external 500 GB harddrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-21T22:42:55+00:00

Hi Searey,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

The error might have occurred if the services related to Windows backup might have been disable, you may try restarting the service, follow the steps below:

1.      Click Start.

2.      Type Services in the Start Search.

3.      In the Services Windows search for Volume Shadow Copy in the list.

4.      Right click on the Service.

5.      Click on Properties.

6.      Select the Startup Type to Manual.

7.      Click OK.

8.      Now repeat the same for Windows Backup service.

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you run the chkdsk which repairs the chkdsk errors, follow the steps below:

i. Click on start

ii. Type cmd in start search box.

 iii. Right click on cmd.exe in the Program list and then select the option Run as administrator.

iv. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

 v. In the command prompt window, type the following command and press enter Chkdsk /R 

 vi. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

vii. Close all applications, and then restart the computer.

 Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors, and then Windows starts. Now run the check disk in command prompt, follow the steps below:

Now when you try to perform backup, I recommend that you may try disabling the security software temporarily on the computer and perform a backup, make sure to enable the security software back on the computer.

Swathi B 

  • Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-12-22T23:10:50+00:00

    Thank you.

    Both startup services were already in manual and the Chldsk/R yeilded nothing.

    I turned off Panda antivirus then ran another Backup. It was successful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-01T13:48:28+00:00

    It worked great for me, thanks so much

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-21T19:16:56+00:00

    I had this problem (error code 0x8078012D) with backup and system image creation with Windows 7 Professional.

    Hardware: HP HDX1000-EO, backup to WD 1 TB usb HDD (NTFS).

    There were some writings on various forums, but nothing seemed to help. The same error kept on popping up no matter what I tried.

    I did the following things:

    1 - Made a clean Windows 7 Professional  install.

    After this the same problem continued.

    2 - Made sure that all windows services were started automatically

    VSS, COM+ etc.

    This did not help.

    3 - Did CHDSK /r

    Nothing found.

    4 - Disabled Norton 360, Advanced System Care Pro and Ad-Aware

    This did not help.

    5 - Disconnected all connections that could interfere with the backup.

    Other usb's, my net connection, I even unplugged my headphones.

    No success.

    6 - Tried to do the backup manually.

    This worked to a certain degree. Most data files were backed up, but still no system image.

    The same idiot code kept on popping up: 0x8078012D.

    7 - I gave up

    This helped. I simply downloaded a free 3rd party software to create the backup and system image.

    I still have to see if I am able to recover anything with this free software, if (read: when) my highly praised Windows 7 crashes again.

    Question: If some free third party software is able to solve this Windows 7 backup and system image problem, why does Microsoft choose not to do so?

    Suggestion: Microsoft, put up a web page, where people can enter their error code and donate a reasonable sum of money, and in return get a solution to their problem in due time. That is, after you have got enough money to release the solution.

    Considering all the problems people seem to have, this would be a great business opportunity for Microsoft.

    It would, of course, hurt a lot of businesses, which ride on problems that Microsoft does not feel like solving.

    But, it would be businesswise more productive than throw the money in false promises and expensive mind-bending campaigns as was done with Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-09-30T17:09:50+00:00

    I had this problem (error code 0x8078012D) with backup and system image creation with Windows 7 Professional.

     

    Hardware: HP HDX1000-EO, backup to WD 1 TB usb HDD (NTFS).

    There were some writings on various forums, but nothing seemed to help. The same error kept on popping up no matter what I tried.

    I did the following things:

    1 - Made a clean Windows 7 Professional  install.

    After this the same problem continued.

    2 - Made sure that all windows services were started automatically

    VSS, COM+ etc.

    This did not help.

    3 - Did CHDSK /r

    Nothing found.

    4 - Disabled Norton 360, Advanced System Care Pro and Ad-Aware

    This did not help.

    5 - Disconnected all connections that could interfere with the backup.

    Other usb's, my net connection, I even unplugged my headphones.

    No success.

    6 - Tried to do the backup manually.

    This worked to a certain degree. Most data files were backed up, but still no system image.

    The same idiot code kept on popping up: 0x8078012D.

    7 - I gave up

    This helped. I simply downloaded a free 3rd party software to create the backup and system image.

    I still have to see if I am able to recover anything with this free software, if (read: when) my highly praised Windows 7 crashes again.

    Question: If some free third party software is able to solve this Windows 7 backup and system image problem, why does Microsoft choose not to do so?

    Suggestion: Microsoft, put up a web page, where people can enter their error code and donate a reasonable sum of money, and in return get a solution to their problem in due time. That is, after you have got enough money to release the solution.

    Considering all the problems people seem to have, this would be a great business opportunity for Microsoft.

    It would, of course, hurt a lot of businesses, which ride on problems that Microsoft does not feel like solving.

    But, it would be businesswise more productive than throw the money in false promises and expensive mind-bending campaigns as was done with Windows 7.

     

    I have to agree with everything above, apart from the sending microsoft yet MORE money to fix something that SHOULD WORK.

    I have turned off my antivirus "Kaspersky", deleted any library links, ran "chkdsk /r" (although its hard to run this on an external drive when you do what is suggested above you do not get an option to run that on the external drive just your main one.

    So, Microsoft: Have you fixed this problem, is there anything i can do to get my backup ups working?

    WIN 7

    Gigabye x58 Board

    I7 930

    WD 1TB external drive

    WD Raptor internal drive

    HELP. PLEASE!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments