Windows 7 backup fails with Error code: 0x8078012D

Anonymous
2009-12-21T01:28:35+00:00

Vista backups worked fine till I upgraded to Windows 7.

Now every backup fails with the same I/O error code 0x8078012D.

This is on a Toshiba laptop manually backing up over USB to external 500 GB harddrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-21T22:42:55+00:00

Hi Searey,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

The error might have occurred if the services related to Windows backup might have been disable, you may try restarting the service, follow the steps below:

1.      Click Start.

2.      Type Services in the Start Search.

3.      In the Services Windows search for Volume Shadow Copy in the list.

4.      Right click on the Service.

5.      Click on Properties.

6.      Select the Startup Type to Manual.

7.      Click OK.

8.      Now repeat the same for Windows Backup service.

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you run the chkdsk which repairs the chkdsk errors, follow the steps below:

i. Click on start

ii. Type cmd in start search box.

 iii. Right click on cmd.exe in the Program list and then select the option Run as administrator.

iv. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

 v. In the command prompt window, type the following command and press enter Chkdsk /R 

 vi. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

vii. Close all applications, and then restart the computer.

 Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors, and then Windows starts. Now run the check disk in command prompt, follow the steps below:

Now when you try to perform backup, I recommend that you may try disabling the security software temporarily on the computer and perform a backup, make sure to enable the security software back on the computer.

Swathi B 

  • Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-02-20T13:45:21+00:00

    I downloaded Malwarebytes (a free download) and after installation, ran a full scan.  It found some malware installed on my computer that McAfee missed and eliminating that fixed the problem.  The malware was apparently blocking the backup program from running.  Another clue that something was wrong was when I checked for a restore point, there was only one and it would be at the same time that I was checking.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-27T04:49:20+00:00

    I am having the exact same problem, with a 2 tb WD elements hdd.

    I also ran check disc- all ok.

    tried both "back-up" and "system image". same problem both times.

    also tried my other external hdd (a random brand case and an ex apple tv wd 1 tb hdd). same problem

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-13T21:05:46+00:00

    This worked for me - after hours of searching for a solution elsewhere.  My Chkdsk/R showed that it had repaired some errors. I turned off the antivirus and, for good measure, my internet connection too.  The backup finished without error and included a system image too. THANKS!

    ~ jan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-04T17:12:15+00:00

    These steps only helped 6 out of 37 questions.  I make it 6 out of 37.  Why doesn't Microsoft address this isuse in a way that actually resovles the issue.

    Please advice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments