Windows 7 backup fails with Error code: 0x8078012D

Anonymous
2009-12-21T01:28:35+00:00

Vista backups worked fine till I upgraded to Windows 7.

Now every backup fails with the same I/O error code 0x8078012D.

This is on a Toshiba laptop manually backing up over USB to external 500 GB harddrive.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-21T22:42:55+00:00

Hi Searey,

Welcome to Microsoft answers.

The error might have occurred if the services related to Windows backup might have been disable, you may try restarting the service, follow the steps below:

1.      Click Start.

2.      Type Services in the Start Search.

3.      In the Services Windows search for Volume Shadow Copy in the list.

4.      Right click on the Service.

5.      Click on Properties.

6.      Select the Startup Type to Manual.

7.      Click OK.

8.      Now repeat the same for Windows Backup service.

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you run the chkdsk which repairs the chkdsk errors, follow the steps below:

i. Click on start

ii. Type cmd in start search box.

 iii. Right click on cmd.exe in the Program list and then select the option Run as administrator.

iv. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

 v. In the command prompt window, type the following command and press enter Chkdsk /R 

 vi. Press Y when you are prompted to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.

vii. Close all applications, and then restart the computer.

 Note: During the restart process, Windows checks the disk for errors, and then Windows starts. Now run the check disk in command prompt, follow the steps below:

Now when you try to perform backup, I recommend that you may try disabling the security software temporarily on the computer and perform a backup, make sure to enable the security software back on the computer.

Swathi B 

  • Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forumand let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-29T18:02:50+00:00

    Sorry! But I'm unable to find the way to disable the security software. Please guide me with the same..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-19T16:09:50+00:00

    Try this...

    format receiving volume, unload it and restart system.

    reload receiving volume, then start system image create.

    this worked to completion for me without I/O error message.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-09T04:01:30+00:00

    After 7 tries and a lot of time wasted, I tried your suggestions and was at least successful in completing a backup.  Unbelieveable!!  Now, how good it is, or how useful it might be, remains to be seen. 

    Thanks Billycans...you did what tech support could not do.

    Scott

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-10-15T19:46:22+00:00

    I had the same problem and followed your description. As I couldn't find the Volume Shadow Copy in my german version, I tried the second method and it worked perfectly. The step 4 needed hours, but I think due to the huge ammount of data (more than 6ooGB), but the patience paid of.

    Swathi, thanks for your instruction.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments