Windows 7 will not recognize my iphone as a camera

Anonymous
2010-02-12T07:52:50+00:00

I noticed today while trying to upload pictures from my iphone, when I connect to my PC, itunes immediately recognizes my iphone, but window 7 will not recognize the device. When I try to access the files via "Computer" its not even listed as a connected device, even though itunes says it is. Normally, autoplay will come up the same time itunes launches. Reinstalled itunes and the device driver.

Now grabbed my wife's iphone, plugged it in, the computer recognizes the device as does itunes.

So whats the deal with mine? We're both running Version 3.1.3(7E18)

Can somone please help, I would like to upload my pictures and there are way to many to send by email

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-13T03:33:31+00:00

Hi Steele823,

Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, I’d suggest you to check for any settings, if any, within the iPhone (you may try and compare the settings with your wife’s iPhone, if need be) and check if you’ve accidentally missed out anything.

Here’s an Apple KB article that may just have the fix for the issue you’re facing:

iPhone or iPod is not recognized properly by computer when USB drivers are not installed properly or are out of date

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the above article, in the order and check if your issue gets fixed.

If the steps mentioned in the above article do not fix the issue, I’d suggest you to contact Apple Support:

Apple – Support – iPod – iTunes

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Hope this helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-24T18:57:52+00:00

    This solution worked perfectly for me! It would have been impossible for me to have gone through 8000+ iPhone pics to figure out which are edited or imported, and Danterner's solution was fast & easy. Thanks Danterner!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-07-21T17:22:30+00:00

    I know I'm late to the game, but had this problem today, googled it, landed here. To ivan_fragoff, you are so right. I can get my pictures through my computer on my old XP drive, but not my W7 work computer. Thankfully I keep that old XP drive.  Long live Windows XP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-10-26T23:22:14+00:00

    After having this problem with a new Win7 machine (and before seeing your 'foreign' photo fix), I discovered that changing the iPhone driver to the "MTP USB Device" driver allowed me to download the photos...but iTunes wouldn't recognize the phone :(.

    After I get all the photos off, I'll probably try clearing all photos out and reloading the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.

    BTW, go to your Apple device (probably under the USB tree) in Device Manager, right-click and pick 'Update Driver', then pick Browse My Computer... Next, pick Let me pick... I found the MTP driver listed there :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-05-24T15:19:20+00:00

    This worked!  Good catch JFK.  Something so simple. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments