Windows 7 will not recognize my iphone as a camera

Anonymous
2010-02-12T07:52:50+00:00

I noticed today while trying to upload pictures from my iphone, when I connect to my PC, itunes immediately recognizes my iphone, but window 7 will not recognize the device. When I try to access the files via "Computer" its not even listed as a connected device, even though itunes says it is. Normally, autoplay will come up the same time itunes launches. Reinstalled itunes and the device driver.

Now grabbed my wife's iphone, plugged it in, the computer recognizes the device as does itunes.

So whats the deal with mine? We're both running Version 3.1.3(7E18)

Can somone please help, I would like to upload my pictures and there are way to many to send by email

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-13T03:33:31+00:00

Hi Steele823,

Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, I’d suggest you to check for any settings, if any, within the iPhone (you may try and compare the settings with your wife’s iPhone, if need be) and check if you’ve accidentally missed out anything.

Here’s an Apple KB article that may just have the fix for the issue you’re facing:

iPhone or iPod is not recognized properly by computer when USB drivers are not installed properly or are out of date

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the above article, in the order and check if your issue gets fixed.

If the steps mentioned in the above article do not fix the issue, I’d suggest you to contact Apple Support:

Apple – Support – iPod – iTunes

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Hope this helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-12-02T19:51:43+00:00

    Like many others I found this forum because my Windows 7 had trouble finding photos on my iPhone. It did recognize it as a camera, even displayed a couple of folders which it 'thinks' are empty, but that is it. My Windows 7 is up to date, my iPhone is up to date, I don't have any 'foreign' pictures (whoever came up with the notion that the pictures can be foreign -- some village somewhere is missing you).

    Just reading posts makes me want to rip whatever is left of my hair out. All I want to do is get a few photos off my iPhone, how hard can it be, right? What happened to 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' doctrine? Did the engineers that worked on Windows 7 somehow felt that XP's support for iPhone was inadequate? Did they think that they can reinvent a better, more 'rounder' wheel?

    None of the suggestions posted here worked. So much for upgrading to 'new' OS. Needless to say I'll be uninstalling it.

    Long live Windows XP, the LAST GREAT OS that came from Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-27T22:42:32+00:00

    I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!! For 2 days I have been trying to fix this problem! I called Apple and they had me jumping trough hoops with no results. I tried Yakfish2's idea because I had pictures from an app on my phone. That didn't work for me. Then I tried your idea and my pc did exactly what you said. Driver reinstalled and problem solved. YOU SAVED ME!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! You should call Apple and give them some much needed advice!!!!   By the way, this worked on my IPhone4 IOS 4.2.1 and ITunes 10.1.0.54

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-08-09T17:37:19+00:00

    rather than delete the "foreign" photos from teh phone, i have a simple workaround.  Create a folder on your PC named iphone.  copy the photos you want to put on your phone to that folder and then go to Itunes, your device, photos tab and sync with that folder. 

    I do something similar with my Outlook Contacts since you cannot just sync the Contacts from Outlook, that syncs ALL the sub folders (groups).  I have an iphone contact folder and copy my Contacts folder to it.  Then sync to that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-08-06T09:41:42+00:00

    I to had this problem, I turn off my Password and it came up right away......DO YOU HAVE YOU iPHONE PASSWORD PROTECTED.

    That worked for me, thank you! It would have cost me quite a while to delete all those 'foreign' photos.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments