Windows 7 will not recognize my iphone as a camera

Anonymous
2010-02-12T07:52:50+00:00

I noticed today while trying to upload pictures from my iphone, when I connect to my PC, itunes immediately recognizes my iphone, but window 7 will not recognize the device. When I try to access the files via "Computer" its not even listed as a connected device, even though itunes says it is. Normally, autoplay will come up the same time itunes launches. Reinstalled itunes and the device driver.

Now grabbed my wife's iphone, plugged it in, the computer recognizes the device as does itunes.

So whats the deal with mine? We're both running Version 3.1.3(7E18)

Can somone please help, I would like to upload my pictures and there are way to many to send by email

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-13T03:33:31+00:00

Hi Steele823,

Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, I’d suggest you to check for any settings, if any, within the iPhone (you may try and compare the settings with your wife’s iPhone, if need be) and check if you’ve accidentally missed out anything.

Here’s an Apple KB article that may just have the fix for the issue you’re facing:

iPhone or iPod is not recognized properly by computer when USB drivers are not installed properly or are out of date

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the above article, in the order and check if your issue gets fixed.

If the steps mentioned in the above article do not fix the issue, I’d suggest you to contact Apple Support:

Apple – Support – iPod – iTunes

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Hope this helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-18T07:50:12+00:00

    Genius! it's been annoying me for two years, but i have never really given it too much thought, but what you said worked and it only took 20seconds!!!!! thanks a lot!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-28T20:00:57+00:00

    AT LAST!  I have tried everything listed on the MS feed and other various troubleshooting feeds, and this is what finally did the trick.  Thanks Danterner!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-04T15:57:06+00:00

    it has nothing to do with the phone, and everything to do with the computer.     

    the only way i have found to solve this problem is re-installing windows on the computer.  it works every time.    you don't have to do anything with the phone if you choose this option.   (trust m its the easiest way to solve this problem.)

    it worked for me after 1 year of exhausting all other possibilities.   dont waste your time, just re-install windows.

    goodluck!

    -Alex

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-24T18:08:20+00:00

    There is something wrong with the firmware in the iphone. If you have any photos that are in your photo album within the phone that are there from any source except the phone itself such as an emailed photo or downloaded photo, PC's and Macs will not recognize your phone.  You must delete the "foreign pictures" then the Mac or PC will recognize the phone. I have both a PC with Upgraded to Windows 7 and an IMac. When my PC would not recognize the iphone in MY COMPUTER but saw it as a device in the the device manager as an Apple Mobile Device, I spent hours trying to figure it out. I gave up and decided to download pics to IMac but had the same problem (iphoto would not recognize the Iphone). Scanning Apple forums, I found that many people found a solution by deleteing foreign pictures from their phone. I did this and the IMac instantly recognized my phone. I decided to go back to the PC with Windows 7 and it instantly recognized my phone and it appeared under MY COMPUTER. All is well.

    The bottom line is that foreign pictures corrupt the iphone so it is not recognizable. Something Apple will have to fix in future updates.

     yakfish...

    Thanks a lot, you put me on the right track after hours of trying things. I actually did not delete any photos. I tooka photo with the phone, as mine had none in the photo roll. And then plugged the phone back in and bam... The computer saw the phone as a camera and installed the drivers again, and now it is seen by Windows 7.

    So folks if other solutions do not work, try taking a few shots, then plug it into the computer.. Just might help.

    Bingo!!!  When the camera roll is empty, Windows 7 can't find the iPhone.  I have been working on this for two days, and 1 1/2 hours on the phone with Apple support, tried every thing on this thread, and finally took a picture, and instant recognition from Windows 7.  THANKS!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments