Windows 7 will not recognize my iphone as a camera

Anonymous
2010-02-12T07:52:50+00:00

I noticed today while trying to upload pictures from my iphone, when I connect to my PC, itunes immediately recognizes my iphone, but window 7 will not recognize the device. When I try to access the files via "Computer" its not even listed as a connected device, even though itunes says it is. Normally, autoplay will come up the same time itunes launches. Reinstalled itunes and the device driver.

Now grabbed my wife's iphone, plugged it in, the computer recognizes the device as does itunes.

So whats the deal with mine? We're both running Version 3.1.3(7E18)

Can somone please help, I would like to upload my pictures and there are way to many to send by email

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-02-13T03:33:31+00:00

Hi Steele823,

Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, I’d suggest you to check for any settings, if any, within the iPhone (you may try and compare the settings with your wife’s iPhone, if need be) and check if you’ve accidentally missed out anything.

Here’s an Apple KB article that may just have the fix for the issue you’re facing:

iPhone or iPod is not recognized properly by computer when USB drivers are not installed properly or are out of date

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

Follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the above article, in the order and check if your issue gets fixed.

If the steps mentioned in the above article do not fix the issue, I’d suggest you to contact Apple Support:

Apple – Support – iPod – iTunes

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/

Hope this helps.


Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-04T00:33:23+00:00

    Danterner... YOU ROCK!! That was so easy, even I could follow and fix. THANK YOU for supplying the answer I needed!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-04-25T19:59:31+00:00

    I seem to have come across an alternate solution. I am using Windows 7 with a 3G iPhone (two, actually, both of which had the same problem), and the 64-bit version of iTunes 9.1.0.79.

    Windows 7 was not seeing the iPhone as a connected device, even though iTunes would. I had no way to get pictures off the phones. Here's how I fixed it:

    Start --> Devices and Printers --> under Devices, "Apple iPhone" was listed but with an ! icon. I clicked "Troubleshooting" and it scanned my attached devices and confirmed a problem with the iPhone. It suggested reinstalling the driver. I allowed it to do so, and problem solved. Windows 7 now recognizes my iPhone and I can grab photos off it once again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-04-24T07:36:38+00:00

    Hi, I just wanted to say that I was having the same problem... Like many of the people here, I searched for answers for a long time and finally found this thread.

    It was quite a pain, but, I deleted many photos and now it is working again in Windows.

    Does anyone know if Apple are aware of this and if it is on the list of things to be fixed in the upcoming patches?

    Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-20T02:32:29+00:00

    Many thanks yakfish2, deleting several images from "Camera Roll" that were created by image editing software on my iPhone fixed the the problem!  I was sure it wasn't usb drivers as my spouse's iphone is immediately recognized by Windows as a camera but mine was not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments