[SOLVED] Windows 7 64 bit crashes constantly with games - APPCRASH - Fault Module Name: d3d9.dll

Anonymous
2010-02-01T06:47:05+00:00

Greetings,

I had Vista 64 and now upgraded to Windows 7 64bit.  80% of my games crash on load.

As other I have googled the shiznit out of this, it seems most people crash some time into a game, I crash without the thing loading at all.

My setup.

Processor Information:

Qx9770 (I run clocked and not clocked, all modes crash)

Asus Striker II Extreme motherboard

Windows Version:

    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Video Card:

    Driver:  NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

    DirectX Driver Name:  nvd3dum.dll

    Driver Version:  8.17.11.9562 (driver 195.62, I've also tried 196.xx)

    DirectX Driver Version:  8.17.11.9562

    DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

    Number of Monitors:  2

    Number of Logical Video Cards:  2 (SLI and NO SLI, still crash)

    Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1200

    Desktop Resolution: 3200 x 1200

Sound card:

    Audio device: Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated D

Memory:

    RAM:  4094 Mb

These games run off Steam mainly but also games not in steam crash.

Fallout 3

Halfllife 2

Ghostbusters

JadeEmpire

MassEffect

Mirror's Edge  various others.

Surprisingly Crysis works, Company of heroes also.

A typical crash brings up this window.

Problem signature:

  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

  Application Name:    Fallout3.exe

  Application Version:    1.7.0.3

  Application Timestamp:    4a40f18b

  Fault Module Name:    d3d9.dll

  Fault Module Version:    6.1.7600.16385

  Fault Module Timestamp:    4a5bd9a9

  Exception Code:    c0000005

  Exception Offset:    00004bc5

  OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

  Locale ID:    3081

  Additional Information 1:    0a9e

  Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

  Additional Information 3:    0a9e

  Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Any suggestions?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-12-12T03:55:11+00:00

Hello Ericsz,

There are several issues that can cause this and other problems that lead to the Appcrash error. There is another post that has several steps to troubleshoot the issue, try those steps and see if they help.

 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-gaming/appcrash-error-when-playing-some-games/dfc6f06c-a75f-4306-ac85-35dbbf8485a9?tm=1323661425093

LD

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2011-06-08T07:07:36+00:00

    Hello,

     

    I think that I have found the answer to every ones problems with Windows 7 64 bit crashing.  I have battled the crashes for a year and swapped out all kinds of hardware-video cards, reinstalled windows several times and made sure all my drivers were up to date.  None of that fixed the issue. What FIXED my crashes is adding 2g more memory.  I had 4g of ram and windows 7 would crash playing game.  After upgrading my memory from 4 to 6g my computer has been ROCK solid.  Has not crash in over 2 weeks.  I talked to a software expert were I worked and he told me that 64bit will use more memory then the 32 bit.  

     

    I REALLY believe that this is the fix for most people based on all the research I have done.

    Well, i have 8 gigs of RAM and games like just cause 2 keeps crashing. DragonAge II kept crashing untill i went into the video settings for the game and choose DX9 as renderer instead of DX11.

    I'll never buy an Microsoft product again, why can't they make games for ubuntu? ;/

    Crysis 2 doesnt crash strangely

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-08T16:37:13+00:00

    Im sorry guys it has nothing to do with your amount of ram but is a Windows 7 bug !! well atleast a driver isue ! with your SATA/ATAPI driver ... You MUST NOT !! install the one your hw provider supports they do not work !!! its a common issue with windows 7 ...

    Just use the build in Win 7 Driver it might not be as fast but atleast its stable ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments