Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network

Anonymous
2009-10-29T03:16:04+00:00

Hi all,

I am facing problems connecting to my company's network with Windows 7 x86 Enterprise edt.

The wireless network is WPA2 secured with TKIP and it normally prompts for my credentials when I was on Windows XP.

I have tried with several other machines with Windows 7 x64, also Enterprise edt and that prompts me for my credentials before I connect to the wireless network.

It seems that the problem is with the Windows 7 x86 as I am not the only person with this problem.

Could someone please advice what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thank you and Regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-14T20:35:59+00:00

I've solved the problem by following procedure:

My router configuration

Authentification mode: Shared key

WEP Encryption: WEP-64bits

Key index 1

Initially W7 won't connect to the wireless network.

My steps

I have Czech version of Windows 7, so, please note that text in English version might be slightly different from my translations.

  1. Goto network and sharing center
  2. Select Setup new connection or network
  3. Select Manually connect to wireless network
  4. Type network name, select WEp security and enter key, finally click Next
  5. Click Change connection settings
  6. Goto protection tab
  7. Select Security kind: Shared and Encryption kind: WEP
  8. Retype network key
  9. Precc OK and Close

This worked for me.

In case you already have some setup for your SSID, delete id before.


Đ.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-06-26T05:32:35+00:00

    I have an Alienware M15x laptop with a Broadcom BCM3224 802.11a/b/g/n wireless card.

    I dual boot win7 64 bit and ubuntu (11.04 right now).

    On two separate wireless networks (the one at my work, and the one at my father-in-law's house) using WPA2, I cannot connect in windows, but can connect fine booted to ubuntu.

    in windows, it accepts the key, and then partially connects, showing "limited connectivity" but I can never actually connect and get network / internet access, etc.

    At work, if I change the encryption from AES (the one it shows up as) to TKIP, it doesn't connect at all.  I cannot change the settings on the wireless.

    The same thing happened at my in-laws.  I don't think it's driver related, but it seems to be network manager applet related. 

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-09-10T23:23:42+00:00

    Thanks it worked like a charm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-10-24T22:36:57+00:00

    I have the same problem, and when I put in enable 802.1x and then try to put the connection at WPA-PSK it takes off the enable 802.1x feature. I am lost.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-12-30T08:29:30+00:00

    I justs spent a good hour with similar issues listed above. I have a new W7 laptop that wouldn't connect to my home wireless network. It could connect to other networks at other locations and could even connect to my iphone which is connected to my home network. It was driving me nuts. I tried everything.

    I could get it online if I hardwired it via cat 5 to my router but then the wireless would still not work. The last thing I tried, (which worked), was hooking it up via cat 5 to the router, removing all the previous wireless connections and recreating the new home wireless connection. Once I pulled the cat 5 out, it was still working. Rebooted and it still works. I'm stoked. AM now off to get drunk and celebrate.

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments