Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network

Anonymous
2009-10-29T03:16:04+00:00

Hi all,

I am facing problems connecting to my company's network with Windows 7 x86 Enterprise edt.

The wireless network is WPA2 secured with TKIP and it normally prompts for my credentials when I was on Windows XP.

I have tried with several other machines with Windows 7 x64, also Enterprise edt and that prompts me for my credentials before I connect to the wireless network.

It seems that the problem is with the Windows 7 x86 as I am not the only person with this problem.

Could someone please advice what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thank you and Regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-14T20:35:59+00:00

I've solved the problem by following procedure:

My router configuration

Authentification mode: Shared key

WEP Encryption: WEP-64bits

Key index 1

Initially W7 won't connect to the wireless network.

My steps

I have Czech version of Windows 7, so, please note that text in English version might be slightly different from my translations.

  1. Goto network and sharing center
  2. Select Setup new connection or network
  3. Select Manually connect to wireless network
  4. Type network name, select WEp security and enter key, finally click Next
  5. Click Change connection settings
  6. Goto protection tab
  7. Select Security kind: Shared and Encryption kind: WEP
  8. Retype network key
  9. Precc OK and Close

This worked for me.

In case you already have some setup for your SSID, delete id before.


Đ.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2011-06-21T15:51:48+00:00

    For those who are still struggling with this issue...this is how i got around it. I am using Lynksys Wireless-G, my security settings are WEP...

    I struggled with this for over 2 weeks, i read all manuals and googled everywhere but nothing was of help untill this morning...

    It looks strange but i understand now thta it is not....

    1. connect your laptop to your wireless router with ethernet cord(ensure proxy server IP add is not set)
    2. go into the router settings normally http://192.168.1.1/ you may be required to enter your credentials
    3. go in to the wirelss security settings
    4. enter your passphrase
    5. important: click on "generate" button and about 4 security keys will be generated
    6. copy one of these generated keys.
    7. save and apply and exit this window.
    8. Goto network and sharing center
    9. select "Manage wireless networks"
    10. delete any network reference listed that may conflict with the network you are connecting to.
    11. exit the window
    12. now with that that try reconnecting and when prompted for passphrase or security key paste the generated key that you copied from step 6 above
    13. then shout bingo...you should be home and try

    As before, an explanation of how to use WEP does not answer the question of "Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network" no matter how helpful to anyone using Lynksys Wireless-G with WEP it is.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-06-22T09:06:29+00:00

    well Gary, I havent tried the WPA encriptions however, I suggest instead of entering the security key as it is you use one of the generated keys...but first ensure there is no network already setup that may conflict with this connection...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-22T15:10:14+00:00

    As before, an explanation of how to use WEP does not answer the question of "Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network" no matter how helpful to anyone using Lynksys Wireless-G with WEP it is.

    well I have just changed my settings to WPA2-Personal, i just deleted the cached instance of my WEP wireless network on my Win7-32bit Fujitsu-Siemens S7220, and it connected just using my security key, this is the same laptop that gave me connection headach for 2 weeks when using WEP...

    Now the question is: why is it connecting without any hustle? could it be drivers? since i did connect before with WEP, could there have been driver exchange? Then i would suggest to anyone to try WEP then after successful WEP connection change to WPA2.

    Then that would be a workaround the WIN7 problem if ever it is a problem...(I am not yet convinced it is WIN7 problem)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments