Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network

Anonymous
2009-10-29T03:16:04+00:00

Hi all,

I am facing problems connecting to my company's network with Windows 7 x86 Enterprise edt.

The wireless network is WPA2 secured with TKIP and it normally prompts for my credentials when I was on Windows XP.

I have tried with several other machines with Windows 7 x64, also Enterprise edt and that prompts me for my credentials before I connect to the wireless network.

It seems that the problem is with the Windows 7 x86 as I am not the only person with this problem.

Could someone please advice what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thank you and Regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-14T20:35:59+00:00

I've solved the problem by following procedure:

My router configuration

Authentification mode: Shared key

WEP Encryption: WEP-64bits

Key index 1

Initially W7 won't connect to the wireless network.

My steps

I have Czech version of Windows 7, so, please note that text in English version might be slightly different from my translations.

  1. Goto network and sharing center
  2. Select Setup new connection or network
  3. Select Manually connect to wireless network
  4. Type network name, select WEp security and enter key, finally click Next
  5. Click Change connection settings
  6. Goto protection tab
  7. Select Security kind: Shared and Encryption kind: WEP
  8. Retype network key
  9. Precc OK and Close

This worked for me.

In case you already have some setup for your SSID, delete id before.


Đ.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-14T13:11:38+00:00

    Are you required to enter login credentials? Did you try this? Go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Manage wireless networks -> Right-click on the network you are trying to connect to which requires your login credentials -> Properties -> Security -> Advanced settings -> 802.1X settings -> Check 'Specify authentication mode' -> then select user authentication. Click 'ok' until you are back to the 'Manage Wireless Networks'.

    Now try to reconnect to the wireless network. Windows should now ask you for login credentials and you should be able to successfully connect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-28T22:23:49+00:00

    Hi Gary - did you manage to resolve this?

    I know someone with EXACTLYthe same problem with their Windows 7 32bit Toshiba Satellite L300 W20 laptop, and i tried everything i could think of but could not get online. the funny thing is this computer used to connect with no problems under Vista Home Premium - i even tried rolling back the WLAN driver to the vista one but that did not work.. Any clues at all?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-28T23:03:44+00:00

    Hi Gary - did you manage to resolve this?

     

    Hi

    Gary states

    The pertinent wireless settings are as follows:

        * WPA2-Personal

        * AES

        * Hidden SSID

    If your Wireless Router SSID is Not Broadcasting than enable it.


    Jack-MVP Windows Networking. WWW.EZLAN.NET

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-11-01T13:44:09+00:00

    After installing Windows updates, re-applying router firmware, re-applying configuration at both router and client as well as rebooting both router and client numerous times it eventually worked.

    I have no idea why.

    At every step of the way ALL the other clients continued to work.


    Gary Varga

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments