Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network

Anonymous
2009-10-29T03:16:04+00:00

Hi all,

I am facing problems connecting to my company's network with Windows 7 x86 Enterprise edt.

The wireless network is WPA2 secured with TKIP and it normally prompts for my credentials when I was on Windows XP.

I have tried with several other machines with Windows 7 x64, also Enterprise edt and that prompts me for my credentials before I connect to the wireless network.

It seems that the problem is with the Windows 7 x86 as I am not the only person with this problem.

Could someone please advice what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thank you and Regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-14T20:35:59+00:00

I've solved the problem by following procedure:

My router configuration

Authentification mode: Shared key

WEP Encryption: WEP-64bits

Key index 1

Initially W7 won't connect to the wireless network.

My steps

I have Czech version of Windows 7, so, please note that text in English version might be slightly different from my translations.

  1. Goto network and sharing center
  2. Select Setup new connection or network
  3. Select Manually connect to wireless network
  4. Type network name, select WEp security and enter key, finally click Next
  5. Click Change connection settings
  6. Goto protection tab
  7. Select Security kind: Shared and Encryption kind: WEP
  8. Retype network key
  9. Precc OK and Close

This worked for me.

In case you already have some setup for your SSID, delete id before.


Đ.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-09-17T10:19:24+00:00

    after following these instructions, i can now not access the internet at all, not even with a cable to the router.  something seems to be wrong with  DHCP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-20T01:18:22+00:00

    I have tried every option I can think of using the above information and none of it worked. I am trying to connect to a private wireless network with an identical laptop running Windows 7 and have had this same issue with two other computers one a laptop and another desktop. I have logged into my network and it says I am connected but I am unable to browse or open any webpages. Http/Https or otherwise. The network adapter says it is working. Network discovery is on. I searched Microsoft in Windows 7 for answers and NOTHING came up which I find absurd - this should be a simple solution as I am sure I am not the only person experiencing this problem as evidenced by all the requests for help with it. What gives Microsoft? I am fairly computer literate and do not feel this should be THAT big of a deal to connect to my own network?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments