Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network

Anonymous
2009-10-29T03:16:04+00:00

Hi all,

I am facing problems connecting to my company's network with Windows 7 x86 Enterprise edt.

The wireless network is WPA2 secured with TKIP and it normally prompts for my credentials when I was on Windows XP.

I have tried with several other machines with Windows 7 x64, also Enterprise edt and that prompts me for my credentials before I connect to the wireless network.

It seems that the problem is with the Windows 7 x86 as I am not the only person with this problem.

Could someone please advice what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thank you and Regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-14T20:35:59+00:00

I've solved the problem by following procedure:

My router configuration

Authentification mode: Shared key

WEP Encryption: WEP-64bits

Key index 1

Initially W7 won't connect to the wireless network.

My steps

I have Czech version of Windows 7, so, please note that text in English version might be slightly different from my translations.

  1. Goto network and sharing center
  2. Select Setup new connection or network
  3. Select Manually connect to wireless network
  4. Type network name, select WEp security and enter key, finally click Next
  5. Click Change connection settings
  6. Goto protection tab
  7. Select Security kind: Shared and Encryption kind: WEP
  8. Retype network key
  9. Precc OK and Close

This worked for me.

In case you already have some setup for your SSID, delete id before.


Đ.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-10-30T02:18:36+00:00

    Hi Mir,

    I am unable to set the encryption to WEP as it belongs to the company and I do not have access to it.

    To my understanding, the encryption is set to WPA2 - TKIP and on the same laptop when I was on windows XP or Vista, I do not have such a problem.

    XP and Vista would prompt me to enter my username, password and domain name without fail.

    However, on windows 7 x86, it did not prompt me at all, whereas in windows 7 x64, it does. And it seems that all windows 7 x86 have the same issue, it simply would not prompt for any credentials.

    I have already obtained the latest intel wireless 5300agn drivers but the problem persists and currently, I am at my wits end on how to resolve this as I desperately need this to work.

    Oh yah, to add on, the wireless works perfectly fine in my home and other location with WEP encryption.

    As such, I think this could be a bug, if so, how can I report it?

    Please advice and thank you for responding. Your response is greatly appreciated! :)

    Best Regards,

    Ixnay

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-10-30T00:50:27+00:00

    Hello Ixnay_Hombre,

    Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!

    First try to manually create a network profile using WEP shared key authentication and verify if it works fine and prompts you to enter credentials.

    Follow the steps below to manually create the network profile using WEP shared key authentication:

          1.      Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, and then click Network and Sharing Center.

          2.      Click Set up a new connection or network.

          3.      Click Manually connect to a wireless network, and then click Next.

          4.      On the Enter information for the wireless network you want to add page, under Security type, select WEP.

          5.      Complete the rest of the page, and then click Next.

          6.      Click Change connection settings.

          7.      Click the Security tab, and then, under Security type, click Shared.

          8.      Click OK, and then click Close.

    For more information, you can refer to the link below:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-a-security-key-for-a-wireless-network

    Also please verify with the WLAN service is started  and set to automatic, if the WLAN service is stopped, I would suggest you to start the service and put it to automatic.

    Please follow the steps to start the WLAN service.

    a)      Click on Start, type in services.msc

    b)      Select WLAN Autoconfig from the list, Right click properties

    c)    Change the startup type to Automatic

    d)      Click on Start button

    e)   Click on Apply, Ok.

    f)   Restart the computer and verify if it works.

    Also make sure that the drivers for Wireless network are updated on your computer. I would suggest you to download and update the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website and install the same.

    I hope that this information helps. Please get back to us if you have any more questions about this issue.

    Thanks and Regards

    Mir - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments