Windows 7 cannot connect to WPA2 secured wireless network

Anonymous
2009-10-29T03:16:04+00:00

Hi all,

I am facing problems connecting to my company's network with Windows 7 x86 Enterprise edt.

The wireless network is WPA2 secured with TKIP and it normally prompts for my credentials when I was on Windows XP.

I have tried with several other machines with Windows 7 x64, also Enterprise edt and that prompts me for my credentials before I connect to the wireless network.

It seems that the problem is with the Windows 7 x86 as I am not the only person with this problem.

Could someone please advice what I can do to resolve this issue?

Thank you and Regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-11-14T20:35:59+00:00

I've solved the problem by following procedure:

My router configuration

Authentification mode: Shared key

WEP Encryption: WEP-64bits

Key index 1

Initially W7 won't connect to the wireless network.

My steps

I have Czech version of Windows 7, so, please note that text in English version might be slightly different from my translations.

  1. Goto network and sharing center
  2. Select Setup new connection or network
  3. Select Manually connect to wireless network
  4. Type network name, select WEp security and enter key, finally click Next
  5. Click Change connection settings
  6. Goto protection tab
  7. Select Security kind: Shared and Encryption kind: WEP
  8. Retype network key
  9. Precc OK and Close

This worked for me.

In case you already have some setup for your SSID, delete id before.


Đ.

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-14T04:15:34+00:00

    Hi Barb,

    ok, thanks for helping anyway, I guess I will notify my local MS support for assistance.

    I strongly believe that this is a bug in Win 7 X86.

    Thanks again!

    Regards,

    Ixnay

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Barb Bowman 80,820 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2009-11-12T10:43:50+00:00

    I'm not sure how I can help you under these circumstances.

    Sorry.

     

    On Thu, 12-Nov-09 00:41:51 GMT, Ixnay_Hombre wrote:

    Hi Barb,I am afraid I cannot as the settings are greyed out in

    Managae wireless networks.In the Wireless Network properties page

    for this SSID, everythin is greyed out with a box on the top saying

    that "These settings are managed by your system

    administrator"There's nothing I can change in here other than the

    certificates under the "Protected EAP Properties" but according to

    xnay

     


    Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-11-12T00:41:51+00:00

    Hi Barb,

    I am afraid I cannot as the settings are greyed out in Managae wireless networks.

    In the Wireless Network properties page for this SSID, everythin is greyed out with a box on the top saying that "These settings are managed by your system administrator"

    There's nothing I can change in here other than the certificates under the "Protected EAP Properties" but according to my system admin here, everything looks ok.

    Regards,

    Ixnay

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,820 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2009-11-11T10:12:14+00:00

    Can you please see if you can connect with WPA2-AES as opposed to

    TKIP just

    to rule out one support issue?

    On Wed, 11-Nov-09 08:14:22 GMT, Ixnay_Hombre wrote:

    Hi Barb,No, it's not the only router here, we have several

    laptops with

    different NICs but on W7 x86, they all have the same problem.Regards


    Barb Bowman www.digitalmediaphile.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments