Thumbnail preview in explorer not showing thumbnails, instead default program icon

Anonymous
2010-09-03T20:10:54+00:00

I have tried and checked all things commonly being refered in forum,

windows explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default for all pictures) for all picture files like jpgs, bmps.

when I browse folder containing pictures. at first it displays thumbnails ( as it should ) and then immediately all thumbnails change to default icon.

when I double click any icon, it opens in its associated program correctly

I have checked all the common places like organize folder -> view -> 'always show icons never thumbnails' is unchecked

I have chekced group policy settings

I believe it is some little change in registery, perhaps after running a portable program RIOT -Radical Image Optimization Tool. that is a doubt anyway.

please help

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-09-04T15:27:10+00:00

Hi Sunny,

Windows keeps a copy of all of your picture, video, and document thumbnails so they can be displayed quickly when you open a folder. The thumbnail preview problems can be resolved by clearing the thumbnail database and let the system rebuild it as and when required. To do so, use these steps:

Steps to Clear the Thumbnail Cache using Disk Cleanup

a.    Click Start, type “cleanmgr” (or typedisk cleanup) without quotes and press {ENTER}

b.    Select the system drive letter from the drop-down.

c.    Uncheck all the entries, except Thumbnails

d.    Click OK, and click Delete Files to confirm.


Alternatively, you can build thumbnail cache by going to the location below

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

The thumbnail database is stored globally in Windows 7 & Windows Vista, unlike Windows XP, where the thumbnail database is stored on a per-folder basis. In Windows 7 & Windows Vista, the default thumbnail cache location is as mentioned above.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit ourMicrosoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think


[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-10T09:48:20+00:00

I found the solution in my case accidentally.  My kids started to play Minecraft on this laptop and I realized immediately that they would do well to have more RAM.  Lo and behold, after upgrading from the stock 2 GB to the max 8 GB, all the thumbnails suddenly appeared successfully and there has been no further problem!  Yay.  It seems to me Windows 7 uses a lot of RAM to the point that 2 GB is not enough for it to perform as advertised.  HTH someone.

Was this answer helpful?

10 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-03T12:19:39+00:00

    I have tried and checked all things commonly being refered in forum,

    windows explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default for all pictures) for all picture files like jpgs, bmps.

    when I browse folder containing pictures. at first it displays thumbnails ( as it should ) and then immediately all thumbnails change to default icon.

    when I double click any icon, it opens in its associated program correctly

    I have checked all the common places like organize folder -> view -> 'always show icons never thumbnails' is unchecked

    I have chekced group policy settings

    I believe it is some little change in registery, perhaps after running a portable program RIOT -Radical Image Optimization Tool. that is a doubt anyway.

     

    please help

     

     I second everything above.  I have tried everything on every forum I can find that tries to resolve this issue and I still have default program icons!!  If I scroll through my folder of thumbnails, to make it even more frustrating, they change to the thumbnail only to turn right back into the default program icon.  AAAAAArg.  I hope someone figures this out cause it's making me crazy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-10-09T00:30:33+00:00

    Thank you for the help. This worked just fine for me.I'v been having the same problem for long time and never figured it out. A nice question for a tech. person is what could cause this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-23T12:23:23+00:00

    Please follow the below steps.

    I was able to get the issue resolved on my laptop.

    1. Open your Windows Explorer.
    2. From the menu, Organize > Folder and Search Options
    3. This will pop-up the Folder Options  window.
    4. Click the View tab.
    5. Uncheck the following option, if it’s checked.

     "Always show icons, never thumbnails"

    1. Click on Apply.
    2. Click on OK.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments